Paid Yelp

kckadi

Hi,  Anyone using Yelp paid listing services (analogous to Google Adwords)?   Basically it puts your business higher up in Yelp search results and over a wider geographical range.    Curious if its ROI is worth it.....

• 2 weeks later...

I concur on the Yelp thing. We have a full 3 months of data and the click are way up, but it has not translated into increased tasting room visits.

Surprisingly, groupon has driven volume.   It's not cheap as they take a large portion of the sell price.  comparing spend to people coming in the door it has given a good return on exposure. The question is, will people buy again.  I know from talking to service related businesses, groupon does not result in repeat visits.  People just jump from special to special.  I hope that alcohol is different in that exposure means they might buy at a local store. 

I did bite the bullet and we're doing a 6 month trial of Yelp at their lowest tier.  They want 1 year but they will do 6 months.  I've also been using GroupOn/LivingSocial and more recently Zozi for tours.  From my perspective they are well worth it. I've sold almost 2000 tours in the last 2 years. About 50% have taken the tours and the buy rate is about 99%, with most of them buying more than one bottle.  Repeat business is probably 30% but the marketing "word of mouth" has been priceless.  Plus the online review database has been a huge asset.  YMMV

Another thumbs up for Groupon. We've sold 250 tours (our max allotment) in just about 1 month. These Groupon customers will basically ensure us steady traffic in our tasting room on Saturdays for the next 5 months based on our tour capacity. We've only been running our Groupon tours 3 weeks now but have been encouraged by the percent of customers that buy an extra cocktail, bottle or souvenir while they're here. Also, don't underestimate the Groupon review feature, these folks seem to fill out more reviews than our non Groupon visitors.