Dehner Distillery

Prepair for the FALLOUT!!!

29 posts in this topic

The sad thing about the Re-bubblers is the joe public does not know and 99% of people don't care. So If people don't know or don't care then why go through all of the steps? Think how much money is saved / made.

You can't hate someone because they have a different business plan than yours. If they are doing it legal then they are not really cheating.

Who wouldn't what .22c for a bottle of vodka when all you have to do is make a phone call and it just shows up.

Was just thinking about something that was said as I was driving home today.

something about " the end of stills in crappy buildings"

It makes sense. If there are more distilleries coming on line and more of those distilleries are super nice. Well, when someone goes to a not so fancy distillery it just could possibly make that crappy building distillery look a lot crappier. And if you had a cocktail room in a crappy building, then no one would go to your run down place and you go out of business. POOF>>> your gone......... unless your distribution is awesome.

Just thinking.

On the off chance that "who wouldn't want the .22c vodka" is not rhetorical, I will say that the person/s that don't want it, are those who have spent the time to search out and discover non national brands, who end up paying a craft premium price for warmed up industrial ethanol.

Its hard to determine which is actually worse for our industry

a )vodka warmers who charge a craft premium for a commodity product

b ) vodka warmers who put "hand crafted by my sweet old granmother" on a tilted label, who then wholesale at $8.00 per, and it sits on a shelf beside a much more expensive actual craft distilled products that can't be brought to market for NGS  price. 

Take your pick, but neither are good for anything other than individual businesses that care little about the integrity of the industry and the price points that will allow actual independent distillers to survive. 

Private label has been practiced since industry inception, but it was very seldom sold as "hand crafted" so as to carry a premium price. We must now be careful that the excess capacity building in our industry does not flood the market with inferior or low priced "pretend craft" product.

Large established distillers generally have the financial backing and marketing machines to take their brands in multiple directions, and at varied price points. In a typical small craft distillery we however have only one main marketing strategy "hand made" . If you don't understand that, and strongly defend it, you are either not looking at it closely enough, or a practitioner of a or b.

18 hours ago, Dehner Distillery said:

Was just thinking about something that was said as I was driving home today.

something about " the end of stills in crappy buildings"

It makes sense. If there are more distilleries coming on line and more of those distilleries are super nice. Well, when someone goes to a not so fancy distillery it just could possibly make that crappy building distillery look a lot crappier. And if you had a cocktail room in a crappy building, then no one would go to your run down place and you go out of business. POOF>>> your gone......... unless your distribution is awesome.

Just thinking.

Just personal opinion and experience speaking, but by far the most innovative and carefully made spirits I've tasted were made in old warehouses, barns, and outbuildings, but when I taste in a gleaming fancy distillery I expect the spirit to taste like marketing, rather than quality. I've been wrong, some, of course, and Woodinville Whisky makes a very nice bourbon in an upscale "distilling palace".  YMMV.

ZBob