Plate and Frame Filter Sizing

BigRed

Depends on liquid volume being processed and the expected particulate load.  For 5, 1, or .5 micron at bottling time - you aren't talking about a high solids load, especially if you filtered well in processing (barrel char, etc).  You might not necessarily need a deep stack of filters - something that a high volume of liquid with a high particulate load would (filtering yeast out of beer, for example).  Really though, you should work closely with the manufacturer to provide you a recommended setup, it's a big upfront investment and you are going to want assurances it's sized and spec'ed appropriately.

We aren't a big operation, and our batch sizes are small enough that I doubt they would barely even wet the filter pads in a big plate and frame, the losses would be astronomical. 

Are you looking at a 40 x 40, a 20 x 20, or…?

Also, SCD is right. A lot of product gets left behind in sheet filters. Depending on how much you're processing at a time, you might consider cartridge filters. We sell a lot of these to distillers, who like them because relatively little product gets left behind, and you can even blow the remainder through with inert gas to get every last drop, if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I must have mis read somewhere and seen too many plate filters at small wineries. We were thing about 20x20, but will rethink. What are some good websites for the housing filters you are talking about? We would be wanting to bottle up to 1000l, but this could take several hours to filter, no problem there. 

If your product has dropped bright(Carbon/DE....)a 20 x 20 say 30 plate filter should be able to do this within a half hour. 40 x 40 w/K300(5m) & 1hp pump within 15min...just my opinion. Simple google or set up an account on ProBrewer.com and search New or Used equipment...filters are listed frequently. 

4 hours ago, BigRed said:

So do you recommend something more like the Shelco filters (http://shelco.com/product-categories/single-cartidge-housings/)? Do you then need 2 housings, 1 for 5 micron, and 1 with .5 micron and run in series? Which filters are recommended? And other recommended brands of housings and filters? Thanks

Well… we do sell cartridge housings and the filters. From pretty basic/cheap housings w2x30withPump.thumb.jpg.917194ad1eff3a0d2b1f2917e9858fa3.jpghere you can set them up in series, to cart-mounted 2x30" housings that can filter in series or parallel, to a full 2 x 30" system with integrated air diaphragm pump, like the one pictured right.

I don't know much about the Shelco housings you link to. I do know that the style they sell isn't as popular in the beverage industry. It looks like the kind where the filter seal is dependent on how tightly you close the housing. That's pretty common for cheaper filtration setups, but in the beverage industry housings that have twist and lock bases are more common, as they tend to be more reliable. That said, we do sell the same style as the ones you link to for the cost-conscious. It's the polypropylene housing Silk City Distillers references above, also known as an Ametek housing

As far as filters, we sell Graver filters. Ther cartridge filters are great – priced well and made in the USA. As I said, we sell a lot of them to distilleries. The number of filters you use and their micron rating depends on what you're trying to remove – large particles (floaties), sub-optical particles (haze), invisible particles (yeast, spoilage bacteria), or some combination of all of the above.

Give us a call if you want to talk it over: 707-963-9681