The owner of my company is looking to buy a "Figgins Reciprocator" still and I was wondering if anyone in here has used one before. Does the unique double pot design into a single column run well? I don't quite get the point of having two pots and am curious about any advantages/disadvantages anyone may be aware of. Attached is a link to some info on it. Thanks!

https://www.stilldragon.org/discussion/673/the-figgins-reciprocator

• Thumbs up 1

The theory as it was explained to me (or how my foggy mind recalls)  is that both pots are charged with the same volume and heated at the same rate. Heating up time is supposed to be reduced due to the jacket to volume ratio realized by using two pots simultaneously. As each pot builds in temp, the vapour is pushed through the Lyne arms and these arms meet before going up the column forcing one vapour path to effectively retreat and reflux. That pot would then build pressure and force its vapour down the alternate Lyne arm and force a reflux on the other side, hence the reciprocating action .  Apparently with a relatively few plates (<10?) you can reach sufficient concentration  to satisfy Fed requirements for production of Vodka (ie 95%). Dragon distillery in Baltimore had their distillery (using this still) open for viewing to the Adi conference. I'm sure that Rusty Figgins (contact info in ADI directory?) would be happy to talk of his invention. I thought he had said Still Dragon was no longer the manufacturer, but I can't be sure.