Ideas for Emptying barrels

Classick

We're just starting our aging program... but I'm already thinking about things down the line.

Anyone got any tips or tricks for emptying 53gal barrels?

I think our plan is to fashion some kind of rack they can roll on out of 2x4's and just empty them over a 350 gal stainless steel tank... i know thats gonna take forever though due to the exchange of liquid and air when emptying.

i know there are racking stems that wineries use... just curious if anyone else has a trick setup.

Cheers

ive done it both ways, using a racking cane and dumping the barrel into a trough. my preference is to use the trough as you can get everything out of the barrel, but the racking method will work.

If using a racking can i recommend to put a coarse screen inline followed by a fine screen before the pump as all that char can be hard on a pump.

20160822_081342.jpg

You can also put a utube of sorts into the barrel to dump them faster.  I have seen one before but don't know where to get them. You could piece one together from a racking cane and some tri-clamp parts.  Just a thought.

Have to say that I am more impressed with the bung remover.  With ISC barrels, I pry and pry and pry...I think I would elevate the barrel dump trough slightly too, nothing like a little dirt into the whiskey after it has aged for years.  At Heaven Hill they had a pretty sweet little automated system that lifted the barrel, moved it down a line while emptying it and it just looked better.

We always use gravity to empty barrels in situ when possible.  We bring the tanks up to the barrels on rack (assuming they're stacked high enough), slide in a long silicone hose, stick one end in the receiving tank,  prime it, and drain the barrel using gravity.  When we get to the dregs, the barrel is easier to handle and we can remove it from the rack, put it on forklift tines, and roll it back over the receiving tank.  We then put a strainer over the bung hole and catch the coarse char as the last of the barrel empties. 

• 4 years later...
On 4/19/2017 at 8:32 AM, Blackheart said:

We always use gravity to empty barrels in situ when possible.  We bring the tanks up to the barrels on rack (assuming they're stacked high enough), slide in a long silicone hose, stick one end in the receiving tank,  prime it, and drain the barrel using gravity.  When we get to the dregs, the barrel is easier to handle and we can remove it from the rack, put it on forklift tines, and roll it back over the receiving tank.  We then put a strainer over the bung hole and catch the coarse char as the last of the barrel empties. 

This will likely be my method too, I'm thinking of making a device that will receive forklift forks, that has upsidedown castors that the barrel will sit on so I can lift the barrel off the rack, it will rest on the rollers, I'll put the snorkel in, lift the barrel over our receiving tank then rotate the barrel to empty. That's the plan anyway.

Theres another thread that has covered this to come length a while back

I made a barrel dumper knock off of specific's system using a western Square double barrel dumper. Made a cradle for the legs and a tank (just sheet metal welded together) welded dumper onto it and slid tank in the side. Made a top for tank with a course screen for large char, there is an inline basket before the pump we use to pull it with

• 1 year later...
On 8/13/2021 at 6:37 PM, Classick said:

This will likely be my method too, I'm thinking of making a device that will receive forklift forks, that has upsidedown castors that the barrel will sit on so I can lift the barrel off the rack, it will rest on the rollers, I'll put the snorkel in, lift the barrel over our receiving tank then rotate the barrel to empty. That's the plan anyway.

welp... finally got around to building my caster rack. clearly this wasnt the top of my todo list lol, 5 years later... works pretty well for 30 gal to 60 gal barrels. also sits comfortable on top of an open head 55 gal drum, or more importantly on the top of my 350 gal stainless steel totes.

not pictured: the metal sieve that will sit directly under the barrel opening to catch the char bits.

51oMxjAW6jL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Hey man fuck yeah looks great! You just sit that on top of a steel tote or are you using it on a fork over a tote? I always hate leaving it on the forks because its just gross but just my own shit obviously tons of people on IG are doing fork dumps. We ended up getting a big barrel dumper but we still use our original a ton.

9 minutes ago, SlickFloss said:

Hey man fuck yeah looks great! You just sit that on top of a steel tote or are you using it on a fork over a tote? I always hate leaving it on the forks because its just gross but just my own shit obviously tons of people on IG are doing fork dumps. We ended up getting a big barrel dumper but we still use our original a ton.

Thanks!

Both! I spec'd it so that it will fit over the top port of a 350 gal tote, OR conveniently, over an open-top 55 gal drum (for smaller barrels), or if i need to leave them on the forks for some reason I can do tha too.

here's the sieve to catch the char bitsPXL_20221002_012722954.thumb.jpg.fd23982f7b3687c24d3c2c6c52c4b616.jpg

• 3 weeks later...