• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I am trying to find the wording in the laws that allows sales of non-alcoholic items in a tasting room for Illinois. When we had our state inspector come out, he stated that we were unable to sell any kind of merchandise beyond our spirits we will be producing. Every distillery I've been to has sold promotional items (glasses, tshirts, hats, etc) so I assumed it was allowed. I can't seem to find any legislation stating one way or the other...

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2019 at 1:32 PM, addemkay said:

I am trying to find the wording in the laws that allows sales of non-alcoholic items in a tasting room for Illinois. 

No idea about Illinois laws, but in general Laws don't allow things.  You need to ask what the law is that restricts you from selling non-alcoholic items in the tasting room. There may be one that restricts but you will never find the law that allows it.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:32 PM, addemkay said:

I am trying to find the wording in the laws that allows sales of non-alcoholic items in a tasting room for Illinois. When we had our state inspector come out, he stated that we were unable to sell any kind of merchandise beyond our spirits we will be producing. Every distillery I've been to has sold promotional items (glasses, tshirts, hats, etc) so I assumed it was allowed. I can't seem to find any legislation stating one way or the other...

In Illinois you are restricted to selling only your own ALCOHOL products, there is no limitation in the state law from selling non-alcohol products. Almost EVERY distiller with a tasting room in Illinois does this. I am not sure who from the state inspected you, but I would give a call to the ILCC right away for clarification. Some of the state inspectors have no prior experience with distilleries, and will visit you based on geography. You should let them know who inspected you, so they can be updated.

By the way, even the limitation on selling your own alcohol products will possibly change this year in Illinois. The ICDA has been moving legislation through the state house that will create 2 new craft distillers permits, and one will be a "still-pub" license, like a brew pub, allowing your to sell alcohol purchased from a distributor, in addition to your own direct sale of product.

Sorry, I don't recognize the name. You should add info to your profile if you plan to interact much here, it is helpful to you and to those exchanging info with you. Also, are you already an ICDA member? If not, send me your contact info, I strongly encourage you to join.