California law / regs related to spirit production for wineries

JustAndy

I was informed that in California, distilleries can produce spirit for wineries and if those spirits (brandy and pomace brandy) are produced from the winery's grapes the spirits can be sold by the winery under their tasting license. 

Does anyone have experience with this? Can you point me to the state laws related to it? 

One place I distill is a small Oregon brandy distillery, and it would be a lot of fun for us if something similar could get passed in Oregon. I am hopeful that seeing a framework operating someplace else might give us a starting point. 

• 2 months later...

Hi Andy,

Get a hold of me and we can discuss.  Cris

cris.s.cadg@gmail.com

California Artisanal Distillers Guild

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fellow California DSP's,

The California Artisanal Distillers Guild is introducing another major piece of legislation for 2018.  We do not have language yet, but members of CADG will have access as soon as it becomes available.  So... please consider joining and helping us move the legislative process further forward.  Our industry has made giant leaps forward thanks to the work of CADG... by joining you become part of the solution and will see the benefit in many ways.

As a reminder, we are an all volunteer organization and there is no paid staff.  All funds raised go directly towards our efforts, we do have some minimum qualifications to join... but, most qualify and we welcome positive and helpful input.  

Cris Steller

Executive Director

California Artisanal Distillers Guild