Brandy or Neutral Brandy: does it matter if it comes off the still at 170+ at times during the run?

Allan

My apologies for the "basic" question here, and maybe I just need some more sleep and I'm over thinking it...but I suddenly couldn't remember the answer and hoping someone might gently remind me? : )

When distilling brandy from grape, if you hit 170+ at any point during the run, does that necessarily change the type/class designation to "Neutral Brandy" (and now, a mingled spirit/DSS with the rest of the "brandy" under 170 in the run)....or does it only matter what the final proof is of that particular run (so long as the final collected spirit is under 170, it's still Brandy...?)

Thanks in advance,
AD

Read the CFR carefully, you will see that for things like brandy and whiskey the proof limits are for the quantity produced as a finished product for the run. That means you ignore heads and tails, and you can be above proof for segments, provided the final proof of the finished product is below proof limit.

• Thumbs up 1

Thank you @bluestar 

For future reference, do you recall which part/where in the CFR I can review that verbiage? I must be missing it as I keep scanning through, haven't had time recently for another thorough "top to bottom" re-read of it :/ 

5.11 MEANING OF TERMS

"Produced at- As used in §§5.22 and 5.52 in conjunction with specific degrees of proof to describe the standards of identity, means the composite proof of the spirits after completion of distillation and before reduction in proof."

• Thumbs up 1