Hello from Brookshire, TX

Hello all,

My family and I are in the process of opening a distillery in Brookshire, TX just west of Houston passed Katy, TX. We are planning to start of making vodka and moonshine while aging whiskeys in barrels for future sales. We have gotten our premise approval from Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission (TABC) and city of Brookshire. Both our state and federal licenses have been submitted and we are 35 days in to our Federal which currently takes 130 days and 44 days into our state which normally takes 60. We are really excited about this and being part of such a great community of distillers. We are currently searching out some equipment, ie labeler, heat shrinker for pvc, pumps, hoses, etc... I am looking at going with either a corson system or a system from affordable distilling which seems to make more sense. however I have been in talks with DYE through a Chinese purchasing friend. Anyone have any experience with DYE , sure seems you get a lot for your buck with them.
Anyway, look forward to communicating here, have already met many good folks on the sale site peer  to peer

Cheers

George

Hello George,

Give a shout here at StillDragon.  We are just as competitive and we offer excellent customer service!!  I would love to hear about what you've got going on.  Cheers!!

Chris

Cell:  806-206-5861    Office:  561-845-8009

Chris@stilldragon.com

Hi George,

Caught your thread mentioning you are seeking a still manufacturer for your equipment. Specific Mechanical Systems, based out of Victoria, BC has manufactured custom distilling systems for about 4 years. We manufacture the systems completely in Victoria, using copper imported from Germany. North American quality and service, nothing but the best! Please visit our website:  www.specificmechanical.com, or send me an email for additional information. vaughan@specific.net. I will be happy to have a chat about your distilling plans and work up a quote that suits your distilling requirements!  Cheers!   Vaughan

Distilling Systems.pdf

• Thumbs up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great another Texas Vodka.  George if you have your TABC out of the way and paid the fees you've done it backwards. The TABC license has to be renewed every two years, make sure the clock hasn't started.  It's a tough business in Texas due to the 3 tier system and competition for distributors and market share.  Still dragon is a good bang for the buck we've have two systems for 4 years.

Stillcreek,

thanks for the encouraging words :), As for TABC they will not issue you a permit until you receive your TTB first and the TABC licensing guy told me that it will be dated the day it is cut. I do realize Texas Vodka is tough and if you walk into any specs the biggest section is vodkas. vodka is the most sold alcohol spirit and shelf space competition is fierce. We have a plan we are pursuing with and hopefully it will pan out for us. Where are you guys located, I see you are in houston but not familiar with you distillery.

Thanks

Our distillery is in Anderson, close to College Station about 10 minutes from Chuck Norris's  ranch and his CForce bottling plant.  We make Vodka out the same water Chuck Drinks and sales.  Your better off messing with Whiskey for profit and distribution, even specialty Spirits.  We've been at it since 2013,  We're at a point that it would be better to sale or lease and contract back to make the product.  The plant and operations part is a lot of headache and liability, all the energy goes into marketing.  Have you visited with distributors?  Do you have a wholesale price point and a shelf price point that  your targeting?  Your going to need to be priced at Titos or below on the shelf and it's an extremely hard sale.  I'm not sure how familiar you are with Specs or the inter workings. talked to other distillers first hand. The laws and system are stacked against you in Texas unless  your well capitalized and can afford to push and market, we're grass roots so it's a challenge.  After its all said and done i estimate we lose about $6.00 a bottle selling through the 3 tier system and the big chains. Sounds bad but i know of one brand that lost about $120.00 a bottle. They were publicly traded and after reading their financials thats roughly what it was.  PM if you have any questions?  

Hi George,

My name is Tiffanie from Black Water Barrels in SC.  We make 30, 53, and 60 Gallon American White Oak Barrels.  When you're ready I'd love to hear from you.  My email is taldridge@blackwaterbarrels.com or you can call my direct line at 803-245-8004 or my cell 803-837-4102.  You can also check us out on our website at www.blackwaterbarrels.com.

Thank you

Tiffanie

• 2 weeks later...

Got my TTB permit today for a distilled spirits plant. I submitted on May 10th and it got approved today July 25th; that's 2 months and 15 days. No legal counsel needed I did it all myself and  Bam nailed it first try. I am stoked. Now the wait on my Texas permit they say 37 days, lets see

• 2 weeks later...

State permit was cut the same day as the federal, just took a week to show up. Amazing both permits in 2 months and 15 days. I so thought since I did it myself without legal help I would have many back and forth with both agencies, only two things ttb asked me for that I missed returned it same day and next day got my permit.

Hey Ryan,

heard a lot about you guys haven't made it out to your place yet. Do you all do tours?

Our distillery is Shire Distilling, LLC in Brookshire, TX we have both our ttb and tabc permits just waiting to get some upgrades in place then we will get our occupancy permit once fire marshall and health inspectors do their thing.

Look forward to meeting you

cheers

George

ShireDistillingEst.JPG.7b6364cddcd39942a75a6adc801d59db.JPG