Edrometer

Haven't tried it, but it is a bargain price if it works as described. I would note, however, it is NOT TTB approved, so you would still have to have TTB approved and calibrated hydrometers for final proofing, and the glass hydrometers are still the cheapest, although not most convenient, means. Also, be interested to know how easy/difficult they are to recalibrate.

I have one that I bought directly from the manufacturer. It's an OK instrument.  The company says it never needs calibration, but (in their words) "you have to tare it out just like a scale."  In plain english, it requires calibration before every use with a known 80 proof spirit.  It's "tare" can wander by a large margin, far beyond what the TTB allows (not that the thing is legal to use for tax determination anyways).

If you use it a few times a day you'll have to recalibrate often as the slightest temperature change will throw it off. It can be very accurate, and I've tested it against a very expensive TTB approved bench meter and it was spot on, until the calibration wanders again.

It also doesn't have an auto-off function, which has cost me about $15 in batteries.  My Pocket calculator had an auto-off back in like 1990 but this doesn't?!

Not to say that I'm not happy with it. I'd buy it again, but if the price were higher I'd save money until you can justify a TTB approved one.  It's just not everything the manufacturer claims it to be.

21 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

Nice that Anton Paar offers this now, but it is almost just a hobbyists version. Only 0.5% accurate (versus 0.1%), and 0.2 deg C (versus 0.1). What is neat, is if you set it up with an automated sipping unit, and remote bluetooth reading, it could be incorporated cheaply into a production line. On the other hand, it will burn through batteries (does not appear to have a power adaptor option). It does maintain calibration, a major advantage over the eDrometer.

A little explanation on the alcohol "Trim" or tarring of the eDrometer, this feature was added to improve the accuracy for distillers, the trimming should be done at a stable temperature, once completed the accuracy will be closer to 0.0002 +/- deg C. A water trim is fine for everyday use,  the eDrometers normal accuracy is 0.001 g/cc, same as AP handheld. The hardest thing about measuring SG is temperature regardless of what device you use.

• 4 months later...