Good Afternoon

Hello folks. Just thought Id join up and get to know you folks a little bit. 

Ive been into this stuff off and on for around a decade and a half. While Im not new to it by any means I also dont pretend to know everything. So hopefully Ill be able to pick up lots of good information here. 

After looking at some of the other hello threads I feel like I aught to expand on mine. 

I brew distill and age only for my own pleasure. Though I do it legally. I work a day job as an industrial mechanic. So my time to make my own whiskeys and whiskys is limited. And am always looking for better ways to do things. 

On 6/21/2017 at 5:57 PM, Turbo said:

After looking at some of the other hello threads I feel like I aught to expand on mine. 

I brew distill and age only for my own pleasure. Though I do it legally. I work a day job as an industrial mechanic. So my time to make my own whiskeys and whiskys is limited. And am always looking for better ways to do things. 

So by doing it legally you have a DSP then?  

Ive experimented with rums and brandy but never really developed a taste for them. 

Out of curiosity. Is this going to be the type of site where I spend more time trying to prove my legality than actually talking about and learning about this craft?

3 hours ago, Turbo said:

Ive experimented with rums and brandy but never really developed a taste for them. 

Out of curiosity. Is this going to be the type of site where I spend more time trying to prove my legality than actually talking about and learning about this craft?

Turbo, I'm sorry if the comments made after me put mine into the wrong context. I simply wanted to know more about you. It's not my business to know any of those other questions regarding your licensure.

With that said, I hope to engage in some insightful conversations with you throughout this forum. Thanks for joining. I look forward to your posts.

Joe

• Thumbs up 1

Hi Turbo,

Welcome to the forum.  There is a wealth of information here and some really nice people.  I certainly don't have any concerns about your personal business, including where you are from.  There are many places now where home distilling is legal including one US state.  Also, people can post here from anywhere in the world.  If you are interested in equipment, check out my web sites http://moonshine-still.co  http://distillery-equipment.com  Give the URLs to your friends.  We have some of the best prices and quality in the industry.  We have sold thousands of stills.  If you have questions or need anything, I'm glad to help you on here or you can contact me privately.  paul@distillery-equipment.com 417-778-6100

6 minutes ago, daveflintstone said:

Apparently there's a new sheriff in town...

ha no!   Im just curious how its legal and in what states? Its my understanding that its federally mandated that its not legal.  So even where states say its ok its still not legal at the fed level and the fed law trump state law. 

Home distilling is legal in the state of MO.  MO law plainly states that a person 21 years of age shall not be required to have a licence to distill spirits  for his or her own personal consumption.   An individual 21 years of age or older can make up to 100 gallons off distilled spirits per year in MO.  Many people are home distilling here in MO. County Sheriffs here enforce state law and the Sheriff in my county does not have a problem with home distilling.  Nor does the Prosecutor. I have spoken with the state ATC agent for our area and he and his agency have no problem with home distillers, as long as they fallow state law. The MO state Alcohol Tobacco Control (ATC) enforces state law.

So John is distilling in his back yard and Nosy Nancy next door calls the Sheriff.  The Sheriff checks it out and John is fallowing state law, so there's no problem as far as he is concerned.  Nosy Nancy does not like that answer and so she calls the MO state Alcohol Tobacco Control.  They have no problem with it, so Nancy calls the TTB.  The TTB directs her to the MO state ATC who have no problem with it.  So in effect,  home distilling is legal here in MO.  It's no different than the 29 states that have legalized cannabis.  The feds are not busting pot shops and dispensaries in states where it is legal, so it is in effect legal in those states.  The states Attorney General tried to stop the legalization of cannabis in AZ because it was illegal under federal law, and it went to court.  Basically the judge said, precedent has been set by many other states and he denied the States Attorney general the ability to stop the legalization on the grounds that it was illegal under federal law.  Since the founding, the states have assertied, at many different points in our history, that nullification was absolutely constitutional.  Both Thomas Jefferson and James Madison believed in the rights of states to nullify federal law.  since the 1990s, states have in effect nullified federal Marijuana laws.   As far as I know the feds have not charged anyone in MO who is fallowing state law concerning home distilling.   MO has in effect nullified federal law concerning  home distilling

But really, WhiskeyTango what business is it of yours or DaveFlintstones what Turbo does? Nobody likes a Nosy Nancy;)   Anyway, last I heard, a Bill may soon be passed that will legalize home distilling at the federal level.  That same Bill will lower your liquor taxes.  Sounds like a good thing to me.  What do you think? 

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/24598-with-marijuana-votes-tenth-amendment-wins-big 

• Thumbs up 1

Sorry if I came off harsh. Been on a lot of forums where folks were more interested in questioning the legality than the methods I use. If that was not your intent then I apologize. Once bitten type thing I guess. Thougu I understand it. A lot of these forums have a large membership whos livelyhood relies on them doing it legally and know the hoops they had to jump through. 

There does seem to be a wealth of knowledge here. And I look forward to learning what yall get into. 

I am from the states and currently live in the midwest. But Ive lived in about 8 (I think) different states and several different countries (however briefly) 

Like I said. I tend to stick to whiskeys. Primarially bourbon. Though I will do feints runs for neutrals for the wife (did I already say that?). But have experimented with other flavored spirits. I am actually about to start another couple batches which Ill age until my sons turn 21 (7 years and 10 years respectively). Kind of a coming of age sort of thing. And Ive toyed with doing a batch for when my grandson comes of age. He's 3 months old now. 

Which brought me here. While I know a good bit about it aging is by far my weakest subject. But think I have a decent handle on some of it. 

So anyway. Thanks again for having me. 

Oh and whiskeytango. It depends on the state. In some states all you need is a federal fuel license. In others you have to go through courses and have to have inspections on your still fermenting equipment and what not. I am lucky enough to live in a state which while more restrictive than Mo is less so than many others. 

6 hours ago, Larrysputnik said:

It'll be the death of me Southernhighlander, but fun while it lasts! There's nothing better than a good cigar and spirit pairing IMHO. Cheers!

Im not much for cigars anymore. I recently quit smoking cigarettes and every time I have a cigar I end up buying a pack of smokes. 

I do however miss my trips to Hati when I was in the Corps and could get Espenditoes (sp) on the cheap. 

Im currently sitting in my far too small garrage picking apart the grainbill and aging in Booker's uncut and unfiltered. Im normally not a big fan of rye in bourbon. But its pretty decent and I like the cask strength at this cost. 

jry5us.jpg

Sorry for the multiple posts. I kinda started posting before I read all the responses. Ill stop now.