5 posts in this topic

I am wondering if I could get some advice on making spiced rum using maceration? I bought around 10 ingredients but have no idea where to start with blending them (amounts) or what proof I should be macerating at. I know some things like cinnamon and star anise can be overpowering quick and others take more time to steep. I was thinking of doing each one separately in their own mason jar and then blending the tinctures. Right now I am starting with a full bottle (750ml) of 80proof silver rum and eyeballing the ingredients. I just ordered a scale that does smaller weights since mine only goes down to 1 gram and I thought about making tea bags with small amounts so I could use less than 750ml bottle of rum. Any advice would be a great help! Thanks in advance :)

I macerate all spices individually in 140 proof or higher. Then blend to achieve my flavor profile. 

1 person likes this

Definitely use separate vessels. I find you can tune the flavor profile of things like cardamom and clove by using a lower proof and then adjusting steep times. For instance cardamom can get tart and tannic if it's too high of a proof or left too long.

buy the flavoring and be done.

don't be a super hero..... make money, don't waste time.

2 people like this

I macerate for 3 weeks at 115 proof. And yes, use small amounts of spices with small mason jars and blend the tinctures accordingly to achieve your flavor profile. Then, do a trial maceration with all of your spices together and go from there.