Who's pumping mash with an AODD pump?

indyspirits

Suppose the subject says it all. If so what:

• Pump/Model
  • Compressor Model
  • Would you do it again?

I've read and read here about various pump that folks are using. We're looking to purchase two new pumps, one small one for spirits (looking at Yamada DP-25F) and one to move mash. There seems not to be a perfect mash pump.  Although not rated as such, we've used our US FIP to pump hot (about 185°F) mash without (knock wood) incident.   Interestingly enough US FIP does have a high-temp impeller that's rated to 204°F.  SO... the US-FIP we were about to pull the trigger on is $4k. 

If we purchased a large, 1.5" AODD (say the Yamada NDP-40BST-NPT at around $2,700)  and accompanying compressor we're looking at about $5k in addition to the electrical costs associated with compressing said air.  BUT we could use it to pump our spirits as well.  Lastly, can we save any money and get a better product by building our own FIP (cart + motor + VFD + pump head).

All thoughts / comments / advice appreciated

We are pumping mash with an AODD pump.

We started with a used one something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warren-Rupp-Sandpiper-SB-1-1-2-A-Air-Powered-Double-Diaphragm-Pump-Cf8m-100psi-/272801514506?hash=item3f843cc40a:g:v64AAOSwfkdZjg6D

and then got this new one when the old one gave out after about 3 years:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYTON-Pump-AODD-Aluminum-1-1-2-In-115-GPM-3HJX1-/252692716274?epid=1504990117&hash=item3ad5a8daf2:g:kBAAAOSw44BYXAxo

This compressor has worked well for us also:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012GOMJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We did recently have to have the motor bearings replaced on the electric compressor motor after about 4 years of hard use.  Pretty much the only issue we have ever had with it.  

Same compressor runs our two smaller spirits pumps, 2 sanitary air mixers on the blending and bottling tank, and also our steam whistle at the bar!

4 hours ago, indyspirits said:

Is the 1 1/2 large enough to pump grain in? 

We ferment and distill on grain milled to a flour.  We have also done a few test batches with a corser grind and had no issues with the 1.5" pump and hoses.

20 hours ago, indyspirits said:

Suppose the subject says it all. If so what:

• Pump/Model
  • Compressor Model
  • Would you do it again?

I've read and read here about various pump that folks are using. We're looking to purchase two new pumps, one small one for spirits (looking at Yamada DP-25F) and one to move mash. There seems not to be a perfect mash pump.  Although not rated as such, we've used our US FIP to pump hot (about 185°F) mash without (knock wood) incident.   Interestingly enough US FIP does have a high-temp impeller that's rated to 204°F.  SO... the US-FIP we were about to pull the trigger on is $4k. 

If we purchased a large, 1.5" AODD (say the Yamada NDP-40BST-NPT at around $2,700)  and accompanying compressor we're looking at about $5k in addition to the electrical costs associated with compressing said air.  BUT we could use it to pump our spirits as well.  Lastly, can we save any money and get a better product by building our own FIP (cart + motor + VFD + pump head).

All thoughts / comments / advice appreciated

I agree 100% that there is not a perfect mash pump. It was one thing I went back and forth on a lot.

Right now we are running 2 lobe pumps for mash. The original pump we got did not handle high heat and high use very well. We have since delegated that pump for moving finished mash or wine into stills, and replaced it with a Jabsco from TCW. Previously we used a US-FIP to move wine and cool mash, but not for the cook process. I liked it a lot for that, but we had issues when we used it in high heat. Alas, it was taken back to the winery side of our business when I added the Jabsco.

To me, the three biggest advantages of both a FIP or Lobe versus an AODD are ability to reverse directions, VFD and remote control (wired or wireless) and the noise/pulsing issues. 

I have not seen a FIP head at a reasonable enough price that made me think you could do your own cart for significantly less than the US-FIP brand cart.

19 minutes ago, Tom Lenerz said:

I agree 100% that there is not a perfect mash pump. It was one thing I went back and forth on a lot.

I've succumb to analysis paralysis.  :-/

19 minutes ago, Tom Lenerz said:

Previously we used a US-FIP to move wine and cool mash, but not for the cook process. I liked it a lot for that, but we had issues when we used it in high heat.

I spoke to them last evening. They claim to have an heat-tolerant impeller for $170. 

21 minutes ago, Tom Lenerz said:

I have not seen a FIP head at a reasonable enough price that made me think you could do your own cart for significantly less than the US-FIP brand cart.

See my "analysis paralysis" comment above. I've spent much, much too much time looking for pumps, heads, and VFDs and have come to that same conclusion.  They make a great product at a fair price... and if the new impeller does as they say well even better.

4 minutes ago, indyspirits said:

I've succumb to analysis paralysis.  :-/

I spoke to them last evening. They claim to have an heat-tolerant impeller for $170. 

See my "analysis paralysis" comment above. I've spent much, much too much time looking for pumps, heads, and VFDs and have come to that same conclusion.  They make a great product at a fair price... and if the new impeller does as they say well even better.

Yeah we were using the high heat impeller. We only used it a handful of times before switching to a lobe pump, but we were having issues with the impeller sticking when trying to switch directions.