Gin Cloudiness

gmdiny

Hello,

I can't seem to get my Gin to clear up without removing a significant amount of flavor. Currently it is distilled from a Wheat base at about 140 proof, then filtered through a .45 micron cartridge filter until clear. 

Is there any other method of filtration I should be trying? 

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!

Are you taking any heads cut?  There are substantial oils in many of the botanicals that you'll be forever fighting. We've found a very small heads cut eliminates the need to filter. Our gin is quite citrus forward. YMMV depending on your botanical bill.  Although I don't know the original source, oft on the interwebz you'll find the advice to start collection "hearts" when the distillate cut in half with water doesn't louche. That may be a reasonable place to start. Or you could always go with a navy gin!

Two things you should try first before filtering (and I'm surprised a particle filter would even remove the oils):

1. Increase the proof - add more (neutral) base back into it until it clears.

2. Dilute with the same proof base - this will keep the same proof but may dilute more flavor

I make gins with a lot of botanicals and flavor that are sometimes on the edge of louching but you'd be surprised how little flavor loss you can have through dilution or increasing the proof. 

Of course what indyspirits says is quite valid as well, though I take a very small heads cut with my citrus forward gin since most of the big citrus flavor comes out early. 

Can you explain a little more about your method? At what ABV is it louching?

Rather than time consuming filtering, I'd try adding your neutral proofed to your target ABV until it clears up. Going forward you should look at your botanical bill and consider backing it off a bit, or perhaps macerating for less time. It'll take some investigating to zero in on the problem.

Yes, I make very generous heads cuts when distilling. 

The spirit does not come off the still cloudy, crystal clear. It starts clouding up when it gets below 100 proof. 

Our method is: mascerating juniper, coriander and schizandra over night in wheat base. Then day of distillation add all the flower botanicals into the gin basket. Turn the still on, make the heads cut, hearts cut and tails cuts appropriately. 

The end collection is at about 160 proof. After that it gets proofed to 85 using RO water for filtration. After filtration, it is then proofed to 80 and bottled. 

I honestly think that the botanical bill needs to be adjusted.