Tough business, but beats the h*ll out of working with lawyers

Greetings, all

I am a refugee from the law firm world, having put in 20+ years as a law firm COO.  I quit my job on 6/30/2016 and have been working full-time trying to get my business out of the regulatory process and off the ground.  I have learned so much in the past year and this forum has been immeasurably helpful.

We are blessed with a beautiful and historic family farm location in Oregon's wine country for our tasting room and distillery.  Check out our brand back story and photo gallery at www.americanpioneerspirits.com.   In Oregon, putting anything on exclusive farm use property takes an act of congress--feels like it, anyway--and I have spent so much time and money just getting land use permits and negotiating with local officials over building requirements etc.  Hoping to start my tasting room construction soon, but contractors are hugely busy here so that part is slow as well.  

I applied for both a DSP and a wholesaler's permit and now have the wholesaler permit in hand.  I am establishing a restaurant and bar line of basic spirits (using co-packaging) to get some funds flowing in, and am thinking about 1 liter bottles rather than 750 ml .  Any horror stories around that idea?

Also, my dream was to do this all on my own money, but I am going to need either investor or SBA loan money to do this right.  Any advice you have to share on those two options is appreciated.  

Lastly, you are all invited to visit our tasting room after we open.  It's a beautiful place and you might not want to leave!

Edited black logo.png

My experience is that most bars have their speed rail (well) optimized for the 750ml format. Simply put, they can hold more bottles if they are 750's. Most high end places seem to avoid the larger format bottles, and in many states it's illegal to refill the smaller bottles from the big ones. Higher volume bars and chain restaurants might use the 1 liter bottles more, especially if their well drinks are poured from a gun. For most bartenders however, 1 liter bottles just aren't as quick and easy to pour by hand, increasing the potential for breaking them. A lot of bar managers dislike the optics of having plastic bottles, so that's something to consider if you go the 1 liter route...