reducing mixer noise

B-rad

Anyone have ideas on how to reduce the noise from my still mixer/auger.  Its very loud and we have a super small distillery with a tasting room at one end. I am trying to make it so I can produce and sell bottles at the same time, its difficult with the mixing blade going.  I tried building a plywood box around it and it didn't help much, also tried acrylic. Its also hard to tell if it helped at all, after listening to it all day.  Any ideas?

Is it a very loud screeching noise like screech, screech, screech?  if so it sounds like the air seals are out of adjustment.  If you can send me a pic or 2 of the motor and every thing that is outside of the still pot especially of the air seals, I can set up a call with one of my techs and they can help you adjust it out.  My email is paul@distillery-equipment.com

It could also be the key coupling the motor to the gear reducer. We just dealt with that on our still. It was kind of a grinding sound with a squeak. We just pulled it apart, repaired the motor shaft, replaced the key and it's all quiet again. Not sure why the motor shaft wallowed the key-way out in the period of a couple of months, but it happened. Cheers!

• Thumbs up 1

Mixer should be nearly completely silent.  I put a black mark on the shaft in the air gap so that I can visually see it turning (electric brawn mixer).

If it's 3ph hooked up to a frequency drive you might get noise if the drive is not configured right.  Other than that, you need to post a lot more data other than "noise" because we don't know if it's air or electric powered, if its a grinding, squealing or electrical buzz or what.

• Thumbs up 1

Sorry for the lack of info, its a electric 3ph motor. I have been running it for over 2.5 years, and its always been loud.  Its not a shrieking noise, just sound like a loud electric motor hum.  I don't think anything is wrong with it, but I hope it might be something I can fix if there is. If it is working as it should, then I am look to contain the noise. thanks 

IMG_0704.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help guys! I installed a vfd on it and the motor is much quieter. Unfortunately, now I have motor whine because of the vfd. I have tried raising the carrier frequency but at 11 it is still whining and I'm worried about pushing it above that. I read something about skip function but don't really understand it or if it will help. I have also heard I could install a rubber vibration isolation pad to it. Any other info you guys have I would appreciate. Thanks

this is the vfd

UPDATED 2.2KW VARIABLE FREQUENCY DRIVE INVERTER VFD 220V 3HP 10A HIGH QUALITY

UPDATED 2.2KW VARIABLE FREQUENCY D

15 hours ago, B-rad said:

I have tried raising the carrier frequency but at 11 it is still whining and I'm worried about pushing it above that.

Typically, the more you increase the frequency, the quieter it will become. This is for a few reasons: you're hopefully well above the resonant frequencies of anything you're attached to and therefore not exciting them, as well as moving most of the noise above the range where human hearing is most sensitive (2-5kHz). This comes at the cost of lower efficiency - most of the losses in the silicon occur during the switching as opposed to the 'ON' state. If your motor is rated for use with a VFD, I don't think you will experience much trouble by raising the frequency. The voltage transients and internal heating effects should *hopefully* have been anticipated by the manufacturer.

I just had to deal with a similar problem on a machine that my company manufactures.