Barrel Mill barrel quality

jbdavenport1

The Barrel Mill is a reputable cooperage.  I've met the owners and toured their facility as it's located about an hour away.

They are a dedicated cooper, not a carpentry shop that happens to make barrels for extra cash.

I haven't bought from them for several years since we primarily use used whiskey barrels for our rum now. The barrels that I purchased from them several years ago were very high quality though. Good people also.

16 hours ago, Greenfield said:

They make very good barrels, I use mostly 30 gallons from them and am happy 

I use ISC for 53 gallons, their prices are good ATM 

Greenfield, have you noticed any flavor difference between the BM and ISC?  How long are you aging out?

We also have used ISC barrels and Black Swan barrels. The ISC barrels are very different than either Black Swan or Barrel Mills. Of course, ISC are full 53 gallon only, and we only use smaller barrels from Barrel Mills (15 gallon) and Black Swan (5, 8, 10, 15, 23 gallon). But wood and toast qualities of Barrel Mills and Black Swan are not very different, I suspect both are using regional Minnesota oak. The ISC barrels we use are Missouri oak. The wood is very different between the two, probably representing both differences in the white oak species mix and the differences in climate. We find the tighter grain Minnesota oak more suitable for the small barrels, and the Missouri oak works well for the full 53 gallons. But the difference in size and chars, etc., also means it is hard to do a real 1:1 comparison.

On 9/9/2017 at 8:05 AM, Sudzie said:

Greenfield, have you noticed any flavor difference between the BM and ISC?  How long are you aging out?

@Sudzie I agree with what bluestar commented above. Both manufacturers likely use different oak, and I am using BM for 30 gal, and ISC for 53 so the size difference alone causes different flavours between the two. Whether one is better than the other, that is up to everyones unique taste buds to decide! I am happy with both manufactures though. but easy to deal with and quick turn around times lately. 

• 2 weeks later...