Marketing A Charity

LaChascona

Hello all,

I want to donate a portion of my profits to a charity that is sort of related to what I'm doing. But I also want to make it public that I am doing so. I have reached out to the charity but haven't heard back yet.

My question to them was, Can I donate 1% to your charity and in-turn say so on my bottle label , on the back next to the barcode?  And can I use the logo of the charity to accompany the statement?

Does anyone know the legality to something like this?

Thanks

If I was in your situation, I would ink an agreement with the charity.  It would be a mutual agreement whereby they provide you with approval to use their logos, , trademarks, or otherwise, on your labels in exchange for the donation.   The agreement should lay out the business terms both sides agree to, what is permitted or not permitted, what the termination clauses are for both sides, the term of the agreement, the actual label to be used, the mechanism to validate the accuracy of the contribution, etc etc.

Not that you would, but you shouldn't just use their logos and execute the program without their approval.

I agree with what @Silk City Distillers says. In my prior career (software) we tried to donate 1% of profit to charity which the client selected. It was fraught with difficulty and we discontinued the program after 18 months.  

You need to determine if you're doing this as a marketing angle or because you're just good guys. Do you think the fact that you donate to charity will increase either (a) revenue or (b) your standing in the community? Is it a well-known charity?  It may just be easier to donate and say so in your tasting room rather than go through the acrobatics needed to say as much on your label.

Just my tuppence.

I mean, if I ran a well known charity, and someone went rogue to do this (essentially attempting to ride the marketing coattails of my charity), I would have them served with a cease and desist immediately, probably follow it up with an IP lawsuit, and force a recall.  If I was having a really bad day, I might even tell the press I think you are stealing the money.

Thanks for the input. I want to do it because I think I'm a good guy but also its a pretty big well known charity and it would get a lot of good press around here, I think. Where I live, philanthropy is basically non existent. I guess I could just make the general statement without naming any charities but to tie myself into one would be nice.

I'll see what happens. Hopefully they get back to me soon.