Help!! Body Density Mouth fell

flyhigher87

So I make a Vodka that has been very well received by the local Somms and bartenders taste and smell.  One question that I have not been able to answer that has been asked repeatedly is about density.  It is apparent that compared to grey goose(literally they always pull out grey goose for a comparison) we have less "body".  Our Vodka is thinner. 

Why?? I have done tons of research and all I can find is a tiny bit on whiskey and wine.  It has become apparent and clear in the wine world that density and legs/tears are directly and only related to alcohol content(Grey goose and us are 40% same alcohol content so alcohol content is ruled out).  Whiskey lovers say longer aged/matured whiskey has more mouth feel, may be true.

So whyyy if longer aged whiskey has more mouth feel why?

Why is my vodka and another vodka made out of almost the same type of grains with the same alcohol content have such a different mouth feel?  one suggestion you could comment on is different mineral content in water.  Could that be the difference?  grey goose claims to use glacier water with minerals and I used very low mineral content a very soft water.

Is it possible they add something glycol type component to thicken their vodka?

Thank you for any thoughts and debates.

5 hours ago, flyhigher87 said:

Is it possible they add something glycol type component to thicken their vodka?

Glycerol or sugar. Almost every single russian vodka seems to contain a bit of sugar, and many in the western world have copied that.

1.5 grams/liter of sugar is (roughly) the lower limit of perceptible sweetness.  The type of sugar, mind you, will impact this - fructose being "sweeter" than glucose.  Even at 1.5g/l, there is a significant difference in perception of smoothness and mouthfeel.  I think @paulNL is spot on, you are being compared against vodkas that contain sugar.

There is a very interesting thread on rum and sugar on one of the Rum enthusiast forums:

http://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewtopic.php?t=1134&sid=edd5d97794d404680b226b919ea9b950

Also, fast proofing will negatively impact mouthfeel and flavor and it will take a few weeks to recover.  This last part is entirely subjective.  But try it yourself, proof down a small amount by pouring the two quantities together in a glass (use cold water to amplify this), mix for a minute or two, and sip.  Result is thinner and sharp.  Cover it, let it sit for a few days, try it again.  I could be making this all up, since there isn't much in the journal literature on this.