Reverse Osmosis or Deionized water

Georgeous

We are a new distillery in Brooshire, TX and hopefully be pushing out product in November 2017. I need to decide on a water treatment for proofing water. I am very familiar with RO water but lately been hearing quite a bit about Deionized water, Any comments or experience out there to help me make my decision would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I talked to several distilleries in the last few days one a major craft distillery  all using DI and pretty happy with it. Great for proofing no holding tank required, no waste water like with RO, and average 5 gallons per minute on demand. The system I am looking at makes from 2000 - 4000 gallons per recharge of resin depending on the resin you use. Not to mention the cost is better than a comparable RO System

Don't forget to factor in the expected usable life span of the resin and the cost of the exchange tank.  The higher the TDS of your feedwater, the faster you'll burn through a given volume of mixed bed DI resin. 

Russ

on either system I would throw a scaleblaster http://www.scaleblaster.com/scaleblaster/ in front of it which reduces hard water electronically. This would increase the life of the resin potentially 10X as well as improve RO filter time. I use one at home my water had hardness of 30 and now id 2. Incredible technology with no maintenance required only electricity. Crazy thing is it descales the entire house all my showerheads after a month of use as well as every faucet comes out with crazy force.