Why installing a hardwood floor makes me thirsty.

White oak. And lots of it. And not just the sawdust from the cut ends - but just walking into the newly floored room, I breathe in these lovely vanilla notes.

I've been trying to pay more attention to the wood character of the brandies and whiskies I enjoy. And now I get whacked over the head with it from the room itself.

Makes me thirsty.

Bummer, who wants to smell whiskey notes, vanilla, and oak when they walk into a room?

My car smells of whiskey notes. Well actually whiskey. I hauled a bunch of small used whiskey barrels 500 miles in my Subaru and most didn't have bungs. Now my car smells of whiskey and it's several weeks later. That was one hell of a drive, the middle of winter and I had to have windows on both sides of the car open so I wouldn't get totally wasted from the fumes.

I've started noticing various scents from spirits and distilling a lot lately. I smell a whiskey and all of a sudden I smell nail polish or varnish or household cleaners. Or the other way round. I thought my nose and taste were pretty highly developed as a reviewer/writer, but now my ability to smell and taste has started to go through the roof.

White oak. And lots of it. And not just the sawdust from the cut ends - but just walking into the newly floored room, I breathe in these lovely vanilla notes.

I've been trying to pay more attention to the wood character of the brandies and whiskies I enjoy. And now I get whacked over the head with it from the room itself.

Makes me thirsty.