TTB Requirements - Have I done everything I need to?

jdlev

Going through the TTB's website is kinda slow, so I figured I'd ask you experienced distillers to make sure I've got everything I need to get started:

1. The TTB does a site inspection...meaning the entire still and mashing process has to be setup for them to view. Is there a list of requirements or manufacturing specs that the equipment must meet (i'm not talking about the building..just the equipment...I know the building is a whole other can of worms)

2. A distillers bond. We're going to be very small, but I need to add the expected cost of this item to my business plan. Any idea how much distillers bond costs, and any recommendations on who to purchase from? I know it's a long shot, but I hope the distiller's bond isn't much more than the cost of a brewer's bond.

3. Fill out the owner/member/operator application.

4. Fill out the Distilled Spirits Plant application.

I'm sure there's some other stuff I'm leaving out, but right now just want to focus on the costs and requirements of the TTB.

Thanks for your help!

1. Your place does not have to be built out to apply and receive your TTB permit. But, you will need a still serial number. CFR 27 Part 19 will have all the requirements of what you will need for your distillery.

2. The minimum unit bond that you can have for a distillery is $16K, 15 for operations and 1 for withdraw. When you get into the application you will come across an excel spread sheet that will help you calculate your unit bond. There are several threads on the site talking about unit bond suppliers.

There is no cost for your TTB permit, but you will have to have a current lease on a building, unit bond in place and your business licensed with the IRS and State.