New equipment sizing advice

arcoffeen

Hi all, great forum, so much good advice on everything!

One thing I've been looking for but have only found bits and pieces scattered throughout the forums is complete system (grain receptacles -> hot water tanks -> mash tun -> fermenter -> still -> spirit receiving -> barrel) sizing advice. I know there are an infinite number of ways to do the same thing so let me try to make this question as specific as possible.

Starting with a 1000L (aprox 250gal) pot still and working our way backward what size fermenters, mash tun, hot water tank, grain storage would you all recommend?

I've heard various things such as a bigger mash tun and fermenters i.e. 2000Lish then doing 2 runs from one fermenter... thoughts?

Or should things be sized 1:1 i.e. all 1000Lish... thoughts? are more smaller sized fermenters advantageous to fewer larger feremters, i know cost between 2000L and 1000L is usually much better than 2x 1000L...

Then, starting at the same 1000L pot still and working our way forward, what size and qty. spirits receivers for stripping run? cuts? do you barrel straight from these receivers? Assuming barreling to 30gal barrels.

Looking for advice from all your infinite years of wisdom, if you had to do it all over again, what is your IDEAL process flow?!

On the cooling side, starting pretty straight forward for still but that upsizes for the size of your mash tun and if you are cooling your fermenters (if you are looking at a closed loop cooling).

You are looking at 3 to 5 HP chiller plus a reservoir for cooling water.

Once you have your process set, I can give you some ideas to pick from.

Mike Gronski

770-995-4066