Website and age restriction on homepage...

I have seen on many distillers' (and brewery) websites the need, as a user, to confirm your birthdate and that you are over the age of 21. Is this a federal law, a state law, or a requirement at all?

Thank you for any info you have on this issue!

search this forum, it's already been discussed. short answer, no it's a fairly dumb way to pretend you're providing some unexplained legal protection from some unexplained legal consequence and pretending anyone under 21 is dumb enough not to figure out to enter a different date to access the site. dumb.

Same.

If it's a simple yes/no, fine. If it's a "enter the date" (especially those which require you to click through a calander) I don't proceed unless I absolutely have to.

Sometimes it's the little things which cost a business sales and traffic.

People do the date thing to capture demographic data. Yes, people can lie, and, yes underaged people just fill in the date with something over 21. But, studies actually show that people will put in their real year of birth when asked. If capturing this is important to you for marketing, then do it. I just go with the yes/no. Getting the full date of birth is silly and an unnecessary hassle.