Direct shipping to Colorado customer

whiskeytango

Wait, what? Is there any state that a manufacture can legally ship spirits into another state, direct to consumer, on their own? In CO, as a consumer, one can receive a shipment from somewhere like caskers.com (online retailer out of NY), but I did not think that any state allowed producers to ship direct to consumers in another state.

There are 13 states that directly prohibit the shipment of spirits. Colorado is not one of them, I am nearly sure. This is an ongoing issue that will have to be handle at the high court level (again and again). States really can't stop interstate commerce like this. I know they want their taxes, but it violates a pretty fundamental constitutional rule. Maybe Dave Flintstone can chime in on this. He seems to understand all of this better than most.

In the end, I think caution is required. All States have their own rules. To some extent, we craft distillers have to work together to push the envelope and allow fairness in the marketplace. If you can buy beer and wine online, you should be able to buy spirits in any State.

Hey Lenny ... I ship to any customer that wants to buy it ... As long as they are not in a prohibited state ... I know a LOT of craft distillers that do the same ...We put a statement on all paperwork that it is the purchasers responsibility to comply with local laws ... Just got to get the appropriate permit from Fed Ex .. That is a real pain ...