California Distillers Guild

With over a dozen initial members that have pledged their support, we are in the final stages of forming the California Artisanal Distiller's Guild and officially launching our website www.cadsp.org. The primary purpose of the Guild will be to focus on important industry related issues like California distilled spirits tasting rooms. If you have not yet pledged your membership and support please contact me right away. Many of us have been working tirelessly on issues that will not only benefit our industry but also help California's struggling economy. We've been able to get some serious legislative support but we need all California craft-distillers' help and involvement to achieve our final goals!

Join us... The California Artisanal Spirits Guild.

Arthur Hartunian (napa valley distillery)

info@cadsp.org

• Thumbs up 1

• 1 month later...

I'm so glad to see this getting off the ground. Cali seems to be a bit behind some of the other states in getting organized. I applaud the organizers for taking the initiative to put the California Guild together.

• 2 years later...

The California Artisanal Distillers Guild (CADG) is now approaching 50 DSP members along with several associate members. We are proud to say we are moving ahead with AB 1233 the Direct To Consumer Sales bill. If you have any questions or want to join... the website is www.cadsp.org.

We are happy to be affiliated and have support from the American Distilling Institute (ADI). If any questions, please get in touch with me.

Cris.S.CADG@gmail.com or through Dry Diggings Distillery in El Dorado Hills, California.

Cris

• 1 month later...

I wanted to update this topic here on ADI. CADG is ready to go to our first hearing on AB 1233 on April 27th, in the G.O. Committee. This hearing will be critical to moving the bill along. Attached you will find a basic letter that can form the basis for anyone wishing to support the bill. If possible, please send a letter as quickly as possible via fax, email or postal mail (please send me an email copy as well) to show the support for Direct to Consumer Sales in California.

If any questions, please get in touch at the CADG office.

Cris Steller

Executive Director

California Artisanal Distillers Guild

cris.s.cadg@gmail.com

916.235.4012 Phone

www.cadsp.org

CADG Support Letter AB 1233 Chamber.doc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I got a personal call today from CA State Senator Jerry Hill, one of the co-authors of AB 1233, and apparently it died on the assembly floor.

What do we California distillers have to do to get a little bit of a break for our business models? What a bummer!

Sen. Hill said that they might try again later this year - I am beginning to think that we should be a little more organized and united - maybe start lobbying them a bit more and become more visible!?

Hello' I am in the process of opening a distillery in Northern CA. I am waiting on my DSP while doing my build-out. I don't have facebook but I can write a letter. The below recommendation was sent to me by a colleague in the industry. An idea I think worth bringing up and promoting.

If every distiller with a Facebook page asked everyone who followed it to write and call the congressmen with complaints, and to encourage others to do so on their own pages, with their own tweets, or whatever, you could get some attention paid to this matter.

Hello,

I wanted to get back and update all on where we are... the post above is not really accurate as of 5/5/15. The bill is not dead, nor was it voted on the floor and the Senate has not even seen the bill. The first hearing in the G.O. committee of the Assembly is where the bill was to be heard. The chair unfortunately had a very clear agenda to put the bill into a "limbo" of sorts, referring it for additional research regarding 3 tier implications. This was more due to political infighting than the bill content, water issues between the chair and our author appear to be the culprit...

So what does that mean? A lot more work, and some creativity within the political process. We are working on various plans to get the bill back on track... could be in the Senate, could be back in the Assembly... or our original bill could be pulled back from limbo by members further up the food chain. It's all a chess game, and the stakes are very high for all of us in California. This is the first of a 2 year session... so worst case is we go to hearings in October and prepare for a January 2016 re-introduction. I hope this is not the case... personally.

CADG is an all volunteer organization, we have a very good lobbyist from one of the top firms in the state working on our behalf. By joining CADG you help fund that effort, donations are also extremely helpful. We have no overhead and all funds go directly for CADG lobby costs, public events etc...

Scalawag brings up a good point... write letters to the assembly and senate, talk about the positive impact of our industry. Post on social media that we need support and keep our message positive and moving the ball forward. It's also appreciated when any questions be directed to CADG, this takes a coordinated effort and be on target with message and news items is critical. I can be reached either at Dry Diggings Distillery or cris.s.cadg@gmail.com

Thanks for all the support, and we look forward to getting AB 1233 back on track soon... more to come.

Cris