Proof is decreasing-Help please!

sspirits

Hi All,

We have distilled an apple based brandy. We let it sit for at least 6 weeks in a glass carboy and then finished it using distilled water. We finished it half way, let it sit for 3 days, and then completed the other half of the finishing. After completing the finishing, we cooled the product overnight and then filtered the next day using a vinbrite wine filter. After we filtered, we measured it again and the proof went down about 0.6 proof gallons. We tried bringing the proof up after that and it goes right back down the next day. We have had the same experience with multiple batches. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Any incite would be great!

Thanks!

Did you do a temperature correction?

How did you bring the proof up again?

If the tables are leading you astray (and they often do) then try normalizing your temp to 60 F for all your hydrometer proofing to eliminate correcting for temperature.

When using the tables, my proof gallons go all over the place as I'm adding water to come to bottle proof. But if I turf that step, it all works out. I'm thinking of building a 60 F water bath for my hydrometer jars, just because it saves time and math :-S

Or invest in Anton-Paar :-D

Thank you for all of the feedback. We have measured the proof using an approved hydrometer and thermometer. We have used the TTB tables and also invested in an Anton Paar DMA-35, and have measured at 60F. To bring the proof back up we added 100 proof of the same product. It measured correctly, and then went back down the next day. We are at a loss here....If you have any further incite, please let me know. Thanks!

The variable proof allowance from the TTB is your friend. However, it means handwriting labels and not sure you could do it on brandies like we do with our liqueurs.

I am having trouble finding the TTB regulation for handwriting the variable proof onto labels. Can you please guide me in the right direction? Thanks!

I am having trouble finding the TTB regulation for handwriting the variable proof onto labels. Can you please guide me in the right direction? Thanks!

sspirits, It's under the allowable revisions section for changes made to labels. I have talked to two seperate TTB agents and both have said that as long as we state the estimated proof when applying for labels that we can write in the real proof on the bottles during production.

http://www.ttb.gov/labeling/allowable_revisions.shtml