Shipping Scam alert

kckadi

BOLO (Be On the LookOut)

Just had an entertaining bunch of phone calls. Today I am scheduled to receive 4 tons of ground corn. I received a phone call right when I opened my shop today from someone claiming to be from the shipping depot processing my shipment. They said their driver "had some trouble" with his last shipment and refused to leave without being assured he would be paid. The caller said that I had to go to a local Walgreens and get a 'Walgreens gift card' for $200 and as soon as I got it to give him a call and give him the card number so he could give the driver the number to show 'good faith' he would get paid....

I knew immediately it was BS but since this was the first time I used this particular shipping company I called to make sure. It was, of course, a scam. The number was overseas, the caller had a heavy Indian accent and the background noise sounded like a call center.

The disconcerting thing is that I don't think it was a coincidence. These clowns knew I was getting a shipment today. Someone on the inside of the shipping company is leaking shipping dates to the overseas scammer and/or the shipping companies network has been hacked. For kicks I quizzed the caller extensively and he had no idea of my location or what was being shipped. When I asked he made up info like "the shipping company is Atlantic shipping" and "the shipment is 6 pallets of something" and the "driver is very close to you on rt I-999". Kept calling me "buddy" and "friend" and saying "I'm only trying to help you get your shipment". Also he was calling on my shop phone and the shipping company only had my cell phone so they must of got only the shipping date and my company name so a quick google got them my shop number.

They called repeatedly for over an hour. I did toy with them for awhile because I figured I might as well waste their time. I asked them all kinds of asinine questions like "How many PSI are in the tires of the trucks being used?"(he said they use 500psi in the tires) and "Are your trucks electric and/or pedal powered?" (he said yes) and "hows the weather in India?" In the end I told him he would have better luck with the Nigerian email scam. I now have the numbers blacklisted. The two numbers are 878-530-8756 and 876-446-3238 and the caller said his name was "James Baker"

Someone, somewhere must fall for this so I thought I would post it.

Awesome. The last one I had was a guy calling about "windows problems". I taunted him for a while about all the problems we were having with the glass screens, that sometimes the windows just went dark, there were bugs in them, etc...

Awesome. The last one I had was a guy calling about "windows problems". I taunted him for a while about all the problems we were having with the glass screens, that sometimes the windows just went dark, there were bugs in them, etc...

The "This is Microsoft Windows Service Center calling because you have a problem with your computer" people from India seem to call me about every week and I always make sure to waste a good 10 minutes or more of their time. Hanging up on them quickly just means they have more time in the day to find someone to scam.

I've gotten this one. I just respond I run a linux system.... Silence.

I had one a few months ago on friday at 4 oclock. It was a electric company and said they were coming out to turn off my electricity in 2 hrs unless I paid my bill. They made 1 mistake, they gave me the most popular electric company name for the disconect order. I called them on it and they said they merged a couple of years ago remember. It was a city that bought from the company they said. No merge ever. We never got to how much $ it was. He thought the time zone made it 5 oclock also. I called electric co they were tons of help, said do you want me to connect with police. Police were just as much help, said what do you want me to do make a report..........WT*. Why would you not do this, no ones gonna do anything. Your trucking company isn't gonna do anything. Why would they care, they are not loosing anything. Call Walmart.. They put you in jail for $5 they way they should. Out of country, pick a fight you have a chance to get help on. I wish you good luck.