Copper Still Thickness - Help clarify

Okperioimplant

Hi everyone. Been reading everything about still design but found a number of different thoughts on copper thickness of stills. I have a couple of different questions. What is a good thickness of the copper needed? Are the sides thinner than the bottom? If an increase in thickness, does it change the heating properties? Does copper degrade or break down, noticeably, over time? Does thickness matter when talking about volume? Say, 30 liter still versus 300 liters versus 3000 liters? Sorry for all the basic questions, but i need some help from people who know.

Thanks in advance

Robin

Return questions to ask----

-Is it to be open-fired from below, steam/water jacket fired, or electric insert fired?

Answer makes a difference to bottom thickness in many cases.

-What difference does various grade of coppers make?

hard, half-hard, half-soft, etc.

-How are you putting it together?

Rivet, tig, mig, solder, etc.

There's a lot that goes into designing something so outwardly simple..........Just look around my scrap pile and drawings.

WOW! it seems like it would be such an easy thing. my beginner mistake. My ideal still would be pot still design, steam/water heated or electric. i assume electric would be easier to deal with, but that's probably wrong as well. My thinking is that steam/water heated is a more major undertaking to get a water heating issues solved, which is another question of mine. Best way for a small place to get hot water for cleaning, mashing, etc, without using open flame?

As far as the putting together question, don't know what is the best way. i am sure it depends on the size of the still, and style!

I am looking to buy and to build. Since I am so new to all of this, I want to be as educated about every aspect of the process. My thinking is that if I am going to spend some money on a still that is manufactured for me, it would make sense to know what I am paying for and how to ask for different things to suit my needs. I just need all the information!

From one newbie to another: It is always ok to ask any question, at any time, to anyone, about anything (within reason of course). I've spent hours upon hours in different distilleries, conferences, bars, workshops, talking with sales guys, engineers, laborers, and people who know stainless and copper outside the spirits industry about all different aspects of the science and art involved. Just remember, these people spend their entire day, career, or life studying one aspect of a component that goes into your operation. Ask questions, but also trust them. Find someone who is impassioned about what they do, and catch their attention. Ask companies about their competition, why buy from one or another? Use their critique of other products to help you ask questions. It's ok to be critical about products and supplies. Hope this helps a little bit.