When to filter Vodka

Pachasius

yes, after dilution, but you might want to dilute to higher than final proof, and adjust to final proof afterwards, in case your filtration process or evaporation results in a drop in proof.

• Thumbs up 1

• 3 weeks later...

In my thought process, there may be another reason, but you would want to filter after dilution so you were filtering the water you added as well. You run the risk of accidentally adding something with the water and if you filtered prior to adding diluting you wouldnt catch that before bottling.

accidentally adding something with the water and if you filtered prior to adding diluting you wouldnt catch that before bottling.

Having a filter (doesn't need to be carbon) in line with the bottler will basically eliminate the chance of foreign debris entering the spirit.

We have found that there are some solvent dissolved components that filter out better at a lower proof. If you have time, perhaps run it at a high (65%) and lower proof.(45%) There can be some shift in post-filtration proof readings, so we make sure to keep it higher than 40% abv to have that buffer. Better safe than watery.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hadn't seen this thread before. Whatever the quality considerations may be, the regulation is specific. You have to do the gauge for bottling after you filter.

Sec. 19.353 Bottling tank gauge. - When a distilled spirits product is to be bottled or packaged, the proprietor must gauge the product after any filtering, reduction, or other treatment, and before bottling or packaging begins. The gauge must be made at labeling or package marking proof, and the details of the gauge must be entered on the bottling and packaging record required in Sec. 19.599.

Now, for purposes of the records, that means that the dump and batch record that shows the addition of water is going to have to show that the filtration took place before cutting to bottling proof. Then the gauge is made at bottling proof and recorded in the bottling record. [Don't forget that after bottling begins you are supposed to do a proof and fill check and record that too - see Sec. 19.600 Alcohol content and fill test record.].

If you don't know know what I'm talking about, take another look at the record requirements.

This is one of those times when I fly the "don't shoot the messenger flag." Will TTB object if they find you are doing otherwise? Those who have gone through an audit can tell you that better than I can. It is not going to be a hanging offense. If they find that you are outside of the tolerance of .15% allowed for a drop in proof on bottling (there is no tolerance for over-proof) they may formally cite you. But even then, it is not a hanging offense. Take a look at their market basket statistics - they buy products off the shelf and test them - and you'll see that year after year 20% of the products sampled are not in compliance in some way and the majority of those are alcohol content or fill errors, yet you do not see a lot of offers-in-compromise over proof issues. Actually, you don't see any, but you don't want to be the first! Do your best do to do what is required. It minimizes angst if you are prone to it.

This suggests that the cut close to, but over, then filter, and make the final cut scenario is probably the best.

• 2 weeks later...