Building Your Own Still

SaltyDog

Forgive me, I'm sure this has been covered or I should have seen it in the regs, but I haven't been able to find this in my searches. What are the regulation regarding building your own still? We are looking at taking over a brewery, so the only large piece of equipment we need is the pot still. As everything else in place, we are hoping to start making some lovely product as soon as we can get through our licensing (changing it with TTB and local gov from brewery to distillery), but many of the builders I've talked to have at least 5 month build times. We have guys on our team with a ton of engineering and welding experience (a few bored aerospace engineers), but how is this handled by the TTB? do we submit still designs along with our floor plan? is this something we can't do without a separate license? Any insight the pros on here can give us is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Josh

They need to know the size, general type (pot still, etc.) and max output / 24 hr period.

They also want the serial number. I asked that particular question re: our still, which is being built by a local coppersmith. Apparently that can be as simple as "1". We're gonna add a few zeros. :)

They need to know the size, general type (pot still, etc.) and max output / 24 hr period.

They also want the serial number. I asked that particular question re: our still, which is being built by a local coppersmith. Apparently that can be as simple as "1". We're gonna add a few zeros. :)

Yeah, we did the same. Serial Number #0001

We are optimistic. Probably won't need to get to 4 digits.

We built ours. it's not as beautiful as some, OK, it's not beautiful at all. But the thing damn thing works! We would love to have a big beautiful Vendome still someday, but for now we'll settle for our homemade version.

Brad