Website Analytics

Quirk

Hi all,

Does anyone here use an analytics or metrics package on their distillery or product websites? I am in the process of building our site, and was just curious if anyone here was willing to share some engagement percentages for different site sections (e.g. Visit Us, Products, Company History, etc). I always like to build sites according to what people are actually using rather than what the company wants them to see.

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Here's what I've seen - one caveat, I haven't seen enough sites of distillers that promote tours/visits to the distillery, so take this with a grain of salt:

1. Half of the site's visitors don't click past the first thing they see... that might mean they reached the page through search while looking for something else, or through a friends post, or that the age gate annoyed them, or the site simply wasn't coded right and didn't work in their browser or on their phone.
  2. 10-15% are looking to buy products and want to find stores/bars near them, or online stores to buy from. The majority of that 10% are new to the product, and want to try it or buy it for the first time. They are prospective long-term customers.
  3. 10% will look for cocktail recipes, that might not be true for some distillers, but it's true for the majority. The majority of the people looking at recipes are repeat customers, they're fans.
  4. 20-25% will look at your products
  5. 5-10% will check out any other content on the site, i.e., history, blog posts, event info, news/press. About 1/4 of these are press, journalists, bloggers, reviewers, etc... They are looking for easy-to-share media/posts, and stuff to write about and review.

One of the keys is making sure the first thing people see is easy and inviting to click through - thus getting more people into the site.

One important last point - your social media channels will likely have more visits/traffic than your website - so at worst treat them equally to whatever you do for a website. That said, the ideal is to use your site as the place you win new customers - drive people to it from social media and make your site's content easy for people to share and post and write about. And make sure your pages work well in search engines. The breakdown of your site's visitors will likely look like:

• 50% come from Search
  • 25% come Direct (they typed your URL into the browser or clicked from a bookmark)
  • 25% will come from Referrals - links to your site posted by fans, reviews, stores - from facebook, twitter, or wherever...

Analytics:

• For analytics I've used a bunch of products but Google Analytics is great and free for a distiller's site: http://www.google.com/analytics/
  • Clicky is an awesome free analytics service too - I like them for more real-time views and more personalization of what you're looking for/at: http://clicky.com/51084
  • Facebook has Insights which I recommend - http://www.facebook.com/insights - that lets you see how people inside of facebook engaged with a shared piece of content from your .com (i.e., someone Likes your page, and three friends of theirs click and come to your site, and 1 of them Likes it, and 5 more come, etc...).

All three of those services can be integrated into a website simply by pasting a snippet of code into the website's code. They all have detailed instructions for that as well.

Hope that helps!

-Eli

• 3 months later...

Everything that Eli brought up is spot on, but since my day job is in online marketing thought I'd make a few more suggestions.

• After the first page the next most popular page on most sites is the About Us page. Make sure your navigation is easily visible and simple.
  • Surprised how many distiller website do not highlight their products on the first page. A lot choose to highlight their history and the story of the brand instead of the actual product their selling. If you cant highlight all your products, at least have the top 3 on the main page. I'd wager most people are more interested in learning about the product first, then learning more via the About page.
  • Photos are critical. Need proof? Just look at how apple.com does it.
  • Eli is right about social media getting more traffic than the site. Remember that the goal of a websitel is to provide information and add legitimacy to the brand, actual outreach and engagement is via fbook, twitter, etc..

These points sorta go beyond metrics, but thought they may be helpful.