For Sale 6" Copper Tubing

Your local plumbing supply house (the place where pro plumbers buy their parts) can probably supply it. It will likely be a special order, with a minimum of 1 stick (20 feet).

Carter's price appears to be in line with a supply house price, but with the advantage that you don't have to buy a full stick.

Jedd,

I did not even think about checking at the local supply house.. I only need about a foot, so unless someone reading this needs 19' Im going to have to do it the hard way..

Pete,

I just bought mine from the "other guys" last week. You are certainly the best deal out there.. It took me about 2 hours to get my one ring flared to fit a 6" tri-clover fitting last night. Now that I have my technique down I think I should be able to do the rest in about an hour each. Of course if I was related to the hulk I might not have woken up with all these blisters!

I wasn't criticizing your price at all, Carter. It sounds like a good deal for anyone needing a short length. Sounds like the "other guys" are the ones charging too much.

As to flaring it, here is a method that came to mind. First, anneal the pipe. A high-output roofing torch, typically used for "torch down" roll roofing, is probably your best bet, along with mapp gas. That will give you around 150k btu.

Next, carve a tapered wooden plug that starts at a diameter just less than the pipe and expands to the desired size. Clamp the pipe securely, and chuck up your wooden plug in a Milwaukee Hole Hawg. You'll need to fabricate a mandrel to connect the two; you might be able to adapt the mandrel that's used for larger hole saws. Maybe get a helper to hang onto the Hole Hawg handle. Grease the plug, start the Hole Hawg, push in until you're done. Use plenty of grease, because if it catches, the Hole Hawg will send you for a ride.

• 1 month later...

36x48 is the largest copper plate available. 36 inch wide copper plate / 3.14 = 11.46 diameter. I trimmed mine to 11.25 after slip-rolling into a tube to more exactly fit the plates and flanges that will go inside. I am creating 2 pieces of this "pipe" one that is 4 ft long for the 4 plate column, and a 2ft long section for the dephlegmator. (150 gallon steam jacketed, 4 plate column)

To seam the pipe sections I plan to wet-solder and rivet a 1" wide plate down the outside of the seam. Hoping to do that this weekend. I did a test with wet-solder and rivetting earlier this week and was realy pleased with how it came out, so I am optimistic this technique will work.

If anyone is interested in following my still build progress I can start a new thread and post pictures/share details. I don't want to hijack Pete's thread.

Hedge,

Thanks for posting about your fabrication process- looking forward to tracking your progress. You look to be past this stage now but thought I'd mention that we were able to source a larger size copper sheet- 72" x 48"- from Farmer's Copper in Texas.