Missouri distilling regulations

Red

Hey guys,

I have distilling TTB regulation knowledge of another state and I recently moved to Missouri and am not as familiar with their policies.

I have found some conflicting info. I believe it is legal to distill for your own personal use up to 150 gals per year in Missouri without a license. Does anyone know if that is true?

Thanks for any info or help in advance.

-Red

Welcome to Missouri...........

The law here is vague on the surface, and I get a lot friends arguing round the fire about it.

It reads.......

311.055. No person at least twenty-one years of age shall be required to obtain a license to manufacture intoxicating liquor, as defined in section 311.020, for personal or family use. The aggregate amount of intoxicating liquor manufactured per household shall not exceed two hundred gallons per calendar year if there are two or more persons over the age of twenty-one years in such household, or one hundred gallons per calendar year if there is only one person over the age of twenty-one years in such household.

---------

So by Missouri law it's legal. Including distilling, since they use the phrase "spirituous...or other liquors" in the following section of the law.

311.020. The term "intoxicating liquor" as used in this chapter shall mean and include alcohol for beverage purposes, alcoholic, spirituous, vinous, fermented, malt, or other liquors, or combination of liquors, a part of which is spirituous, vinous, or fermented, and all preparations or mixtures for beverage purposes, containing in excess of one-half of one percent by volume. All beverages having an alcoholic content of less than one-half of one percent by volume shall be exempt from the provisions of this chapter, but subject to inspection as provided by sections 196.365 to 196.445*.

But we all know the Feds over-rule in all cases where a federal ruling is made. So it goes with this case. While Missouri says something is fine, feds choke you by the throat to do it their way.

If Feds ever give approval to home distillation Missouri is ahead of the curve with having a law in place with resonable limits, nothing will need changing. Except the fact I can't think of anyone who can drink 200gallons of 80proof a year ;)

Porter,

Thanks for the info. So does that mean that even though in Missouri it is legal to produce spirits at your home for your own consumption it is not allowed because it is illegal at the federal level?

I don't want to do something illegal, but want to home distill and practice the craft if possible.

-Red

Porter,

Thanks for the info. So does that mean that even though in Missouri it is legal to produce spirits at your home for your own consumption it is not allowed because it is illegal at the federal level?

I don't want to do something illegal, but want to home distill and practice the craft if possible.

-Red

Yes, that's what it means, but don't despair. Look into getting a federal license because it's not that hard and apparently all that you need in Missouri to produce for your own consumption.

One of the sparks for the micro-distillery boom was a desire on the part of governments to encourage fuel ethanol production, including small scale production by farmers who can easily make their own grain into ethanol to run their tractors and other equipment. To that end, the feds made it much easier to get a federal license.

• 10 months later...