Best way to filter taste from vodka

rtshfd

We're looking at producing vodka and I'd like to have the ability to filter out excessive character. Can someone suggest a setup? Is it as simple as some carbon in a 2 inch tube with mesh gaskets on the end and a pump to push the spirit through?

What's the difference between chill filtering and carbon filtering (at ambient temps) in terms of its effect on the end product? I know there's a lot of info here on filtering and after looking at 20 different topics i'm still confused...lol.

MG Thermal, most posts on the forum indicate to filter vodka through activated carbon at room temperature. Will the activated carbon work better when the vodka is initially at 32F or 32F throughout the filtration process?

My source comes from a supplier of the activated carbon who also builds the large scale filter assemblies for vodka and rum manufacturers.

The product needs a certain "contact time" with the carbon to achieve proper results at 32F product temperature.

How the effectiveness changes from room temp to 32F is the question you're asking- I don't have that answer for you on that one.

MG are you implying chill filtering? I was under the impression that chill filtering and carbon filtering (at room temp) are for two different purposes. Chill in order to remove flock which is run over carbon or a cellulose membrane of sorts at low temps and then carbon filtering is to remove character/color and can be done at room temps. Am I confusing something here?

Here is my 2 cents.

We filter through active carbon at room temp. We filter thousands of gallons at any one time. Active carbon works at all temps, it works because of static electricity.

Things to think about....

1. if you chill filter to get flock out great!

2. chill filter to process through active carbon... waste of time. You don't see chill filters on fish tanks, and they have active carbon. Those fish are living in there own poo...

3. when you chill filter have your proof higher than bottling, because as it heats back up it will have condensation that occurs in the tank which could potentially throw the alcohol percentage off. Especially if it's an open tank of any sort.

4. can you do it with your process at large volumes with out massive cost?

5. Besides active carbon filtering there are other way to make vodka way better.

take care..

Here is my 2 cents.

We filter through active carbon at room temp. We filter thousands of gallons at any one time. Active carbon works at all temps, it works because of static electricity.

Things to think about....

1. if you chill filter to get flock out great!

2. chill filter to process through active carbon... waste of time. You don't see chill filters on fish tanks, and they have active carbon. Those fish are living in there own poo...

3. when you chill filter have your proof higher than bottling, because as it heats back up it will have condensation that occurs in the tank which could potentially throw the alcohol percentage off. Especially if it's an open tank of any sort.

4. can you do it with your process at large volumes with out massive cost?

5. Besides active carbon filtering there are other way to make vodka way better.

take care..

I'm curious about your opinion on other ways to make vodka way better. Are you referring to better filtering methods? if so, do you mind sharing your opinions?

I can not tell you how we do are process.

But we use active carbon for filtering. There is no other filtering that we do. We "treat" the vodka by doing a special process to it to alter the structure and remove and or change some of the compounds.

It is this process the makes our vodka so good and we can sell it at an inexpensive price. We sell are vodka all over the USA to other distilleries in bulk. We can process any of our products this way.

Carbon adsorption of impurities will work across a very broad temperature range. There is no need to chill your product for carbon filtering, but neither will it make much of a difference. I have filtered spirits as low as 0 F through carbon, with no sensory difference.

The source, grade, and size of your chosen activated carbon will make much more of a difference, as well as how long your spirit is in contact with the carbon. Typically, long dwell times mean more agressive adsorption, but there are exceptions.

Make sure you run your spirit through a polishing filter to remove any carbon black after your process.

I recommend a steam activated natural source carbon, and I'd avoid old dinosaurs...although some people DO use that as well.

Dan

I'm curious about your opinion on other ways to make vodka way better. Are you referring to better filtering methods? if so, do you mind sharing your opinions?

I can not tell you. It is not filtering, it is "processing" after it has been distilled. We filter yes, but the other processing it what takes it to a whole other level.

From our experience chill carbon filtering does make a difference, however it's not needed to go down to 32 degrees. The Russians recommended we keep the temperature below 15 C, which our well water does nicely.

• Thumbs up 1