Zubrowka

captnKB

Recently came across a wonderful vodka called zubrowka. Its a polish rye based vodka aged on dry grass from northern europe. It is hands down the best smoothest drinking vodka I've ever had. Anyone out there had it or know the secret to their great drink?

currently have a experiment going at our place. A polish lady brought by the grass she has growing, and your right amazing!

But looked it up and there is something in their the FDA will not allow because its a blood thinner. I think the European ones are authentic but other than that ive read you have to denature the thing that causes blood thinning.

The grass is Bison Grass, and I don't believe it is GRAS (pun intended) as it does contain Coumarin. I believe the export versions use processed grasses that do not contain the active ingredient (or less of it).

Coumarin also exists in other herbs that were historically used in bitters and spirits, for example Tonka Bean and some Cinnamons, which are no longer permitted.

Nepa Id love to hear how your experimentation goes in producing a similar spirit.

Ive been able to acquire the real deal Zubrowka not the fake american version in Mexico and love it best vodka I've ever had.

Its a real shame the FDA bans it as a blood thinner because last i checked alcohol is also a blood thinner. The toxicity part has some truth to it but Ive got to read more to really find if there is truth in the toxicity part

• 3 months later...