It comes down to your raw materials, what your planned fermentation schedule is and how well the ester formation plays with your raw material base flavor.

I just finished testing for our new rum using locally sourced materials. Yeast strains tested were. V-1116, EDV-493, EDV-46, Saf-whiskey M-1 strain, I believe, and a specially formulated yeast meant for a 50/50 blend of molasses and sugars, Still Spirits brand, with enzymes and nutrients already added.

I have used the Saf-whiskey Strain before with great success however with the raw materials it didn't pan out.

V-1116 to fruity for the raw materials.

EDV-46 (obtained from sugar beets in Europe I believe) was better than the other two.

The Still Spirits 50/50 blend was also nice but not sure of availability plus not chance of propagation as the enzymes and nutrents would be spent on the first run.

We also settled on the EDV-493. Just the right amount of esters for our planned fermentation temp and schedule. played well with the raw materials.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• 2 months later...

Sorry SmoogDog, I forgot to subscribe and just seen your post. were using a Louisiana sourced black strap. Unfortunately, we haven't launched the brand, distributor or supplier just yet. we do have a good relationship with our sugar supplier so I'm looking forward to this years harvest. I have lots of ideas for that.

J

At that gravity I'd simply taste it.

Could just be trapped C02 finding it's way out from under any solids that have fallen out of suspension?

Is it sweet or dry like dry wine?

• 3 months later...

At that gravity I'd simply taste it.

Could just be trapped C02 finding it's way out from under any solids that have fallen out of suspension?

Is it sweet or dry like dry wine?

Sorry, I didn't notice the post until just now. The wash produced a dry wine flavor. Not sweet.

• 9 months later...

I found Rumrunners comments on using Saf-Whiskey yeast interesting, although he's obviously not pleased with the result.

I had been wondering how a malt whisky yeast would perform in a rum wash? Was thinking of the fruity esters that can carry through in a malt whisky, which got me thinking about molasses washes.