Steam Hose vs Steam Pipe

Max Action

We're doing a low pressure boiler upgrade, and it appears the cost of 2" rubber steam hose is in the ballpark of 2" steel steam pipe. Any negative opinions on using hose instead of pipe? The hose would certainly be faster to install and with smooth interiors it seems there could be less pressure drop from bends compared to the hard 90 degree elbows with pipe.

Can't imagine the service life of rubber steam hose would be anywhere near steel pipe. I'd give the manufacturer a ring and inquire as to whether it's intended for permanent installation, I'd be surprised if it were. If you were going to go that route, I'd budget in for replacement every few years. I don't know your premise layout, but I'd also consider the potential for accidental damage.

New 2" steam rubber hose the same price per foot as New 2" black pipe per foot? 2" black sch 40 or sch 80 should be much cheaper. I've found 2" rubber is around $10/ft and 2" black is around $3/ft. IMHO use black pipe for permanent installations and only use rubber hose for excessive movement/vibration isolation and/or for a temporary installation. Rubber must/should be closely inspected every day, Steel yearly(varies state to state). I've found 2" black pipe in big box stores(Home Depot,e tc) to be usable quality but I prefer to buy all my pipe and fittings(especially pipe unions) from a dedicated supply house.

Also with the hose u could create water hammer issues if u have low spots, sags, in the line easier to run pipe at slight angle and T in drip legs to condensate return. Not sayin u couldn't do it, just something to think about. With the complicated piping at the near boiler area your gonna be in pipe for sure anyway so it would just be your straight run out to the equipment that u could changeout with the hose. At least with my set up and what I'm familiar with.

• 4 months later...

I have never sold any rubber steam hose to a brewery or distillery... It would function, but unless there is a specific reason to use hose, pipe is the go-to for permanent steam installations.

We do sell lots of stainless metal hose assemblies for steam when needing to accommodate for offset. They don't wear like rubber hose does. Most of the steam hose we sell is for running steam out to a rail car for unloading viscous media in cold climates and other short-term uses.