Feedback Please

damata

It would be a real help if I could get suggestions on pricing for my stills.

We make them entirely by hand. We hammer the copper without power tools.

The standard model has a 750 liter capacity and comes with a dephlegmator and two plates and is heated by steam. This is not direct steam but a coil inside which is heated by steam.

We have done some with direct heat and have considered electrical.

Since we are a small operation we have stuck to the design our clients want but we clearly can and will build in the traditional Scottish style or have one with a helmet.

The only part we have yet to work on is columns.

Please PLEASE be critical. We do not want compliments. We want advise from people who buy stills.

Thank you very much.

post-12372-0-25455500-1454682006_thumb.j

What is the cost of all of the materials for your standard model, and how long does it take to make it?

The cost varies due to the fluctuating costs of copper. Since we make it by hand it takes us roughly 30 days for the still only and then another week for placing the final touches. The condenser is made at the same time by my partners. I assume this could be a good thing since the German stills take a year or so before delivery if I am correct.

How do I not compliment you. Those are beautiful pieces of equipment!

That is extremely kind of you. I am very critical of my work so it is a joy when I read that someone likes what we've made.

When you do find the price, please let me know. Check out StillDragon for columns.http://stilldragon.com

Will do. Thank you for the link for columns.

ALSO - in March I am hoping to build a still of 1,000 liters in Massachusetts which is designed after the Glenfiddich stills - http://c8.alamy.com/comp/C29PJ5/glenfiddich-distillery-dufftown-scotland-whisky-whiskey-still-copper-C29PJ5.jpg- but I will also "hide" some plates and a dephlegmator in it without compromise to the outside look. I also hope to make columns which have the appearance of the Glenfiddich condensers so the overall look is old school Scottish. With this project I may use a Helve Hammer and English Wheel and Bead Roller to assist in construction. Once it is hopefully done I will post photos.

Beautiful Still, how did you get into the trade? Do you have a shop in Massachusetts?

Beautiful! Only negative I see is the manways look time consuming to open?

Good observation. Those were the only available in Brazil. With the ones I am building here I am looking for a different supplier. Vendome has absolutely beautiful ones.

So practicability and aesthetics is my goal.

Beautiful Still, how did you get into the trade? Do you have a shop in Massachusetts?

I have started to work out of Charlton but may move to Cape Cod.

I just saw your profile. I am actually being commissioned to build a distillery and brewery in Indiana. So like you, Massachusetts and Indiana are my bases. What are the chances of that.

I'm very interested in your stills. They are beautifully crafted and something I would love to see in my distillery. I'm very new to this type of business, but these stills are gorgeous! I love the craftsmanship...well done. I will check back in this forum to see where you price these stills.

Thank you for the feedback, mendodistilling. I appreciate it and please let me know what your gf finds out.

Once I have figured out pricing I will PM you. Maybe I am incorrect but I feel a bit awkward about posting prices openly on a forum.

If it is okay to make such an announcement (anybody reading this, PLEASE let me know) then I will.

Beautiful copper work there Damata.

Your starting price should be as Jedd Hass suggested, cost of materials plus labor cost. Then add your profit margin of maybe 30%, that is your decision.

After that you let market forces drive the price. Supply and demand.

If you can't keep up with the demand you creep the price up because customers obviously think the stills are worth that much.

Or you put a high margin on then creep the price down until sales equal manufacturing speed.

Also as you are making these stills for sale you should be particularly vigilant about safety.

I see you have what looks like a reasonably large pressure release valve shown in one of your photos. What pressure does it release at? How many litres per second of mucky puke will it release if the pot foams and restricts the column or condenser? Where will the hot steam or puke go?

Also as you are making these stills for sale you should be particularly vigilant about safety.

I see you have what looks like a reasonably large pressure release valve shown in one of your photos. What pressure does it release at? How many litres per second of mucky puke will it release if the pot foams and restricts the column or condenser? Where will the hot steam or puke go?

The steam comes into the still via a pipe and joins a coiled pipe inside so we have no steam jacket. The pressure is controlled by a handle but this is to control the pressure coming from the boiler into the coil. The open valve we have is for potential overheating of the ferment, not the steam. Is that answering your question. Please let me know and I will ask Max for further better answers if needed since he is the designer.

In photo on the left there is a valve I am calling a pressure release, I think that is that what you are calling "the open valve"

Steam pressure and valves are fairly well specified and signed off in general industry, but stills are often overlooked because they NORMALLY run at or near atmospheric pressure. But occasionally they don't.

If you haven't come across it you might like to read the following thread. There are probably other threads as well if you do a search.

http://adiforums.com/index.php?showtopic=6568&hl=pressure

I sent a reply and for some reason I see now it is not posted. Sorry.

We use steam vapor which is passed through a coil inside the pot, we do not use a steam jacket so there is no pressure issue aside from any that comes from heating too quickly or too fast.

The only time we alter the vapor pressure is at the end when we need to play with temperature so as to get a maximum heart amount.

We work with a capacity of handling 15 psi.

I hope this answered your question.

I can ask Max, he is the designer.

And also - yet that is a pressure release value (I apologize for not knowing the name) which one opens if the pressure at 10 psi starts rising and is not dropping with reduction in the steam.