pray this does not happen!

I am so thankful that Trademarks are not internationally binding. Some wally in China has been granted a TM for Vodka, LOL.

Does the US not have the same laws as Rest of World in that a word or name that has been in common public use for some time, is considered public domain?

• 3 years later...

I am so thankful that Trademarks are not internationally binding. Some wally in China has been granted a TM for Vodka, LOL.

Does the US not have the same laws as Rest of World in that a word or name that has been in common public use for some time, is considered public domain?

The US has laws which are clear as mud and even crystal clear laws are open to interpretation by biased judges-- especially when there is money/power/good-old-boys-club involved.

Reminds me of a few years ago when Ford bought Jaguar and then went sue happy with anything related to their brand image. I think it was back in the mid or late 90s when they sued the Jaguar Club (a group who's mission was to protect the ANIMAL) just because it used the word 'jaguar'.

Just a really quick article on what Ford has been able to do.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/12/ford-doesnt-own-its-logo-and-neither-do-you/

Now Ford is not the only company doing this, just the first one that came to mind.