AMS Distillery Store

After 14 long, expensive months, the Virginia ABC will contract Appalachian Mountain Spirits to become a government ABC store. This will allow us to wholesale products to ourselves and sell them at retail to the general public for the ABC. Since we will staff our own ABC store we will be allowed to do tastings. Customers try it and then buy it. Our dream of becoming a destination distillery is about complete, with two plants and a 4000 sf retail store we are ready to take off.

I may write a book about the trials and heartaches of doing a start-up, 'cause it has not been pretty. The emotional toll, money, and sharks put me in the hospital, almost cost me my marriage, but he absolute worst was the state government.

We have a beautiful tasting room and a wall of whisky ready to be sold. This has been the most difficult journey I have ever undertaken and I hope its finally worth it.

Here's to you, man! You stuck with it and you got it done. I wish you nothing but success with it. I hate to hear about the issues that states bring into the mix, and knowing where you are I know it hasn't been easy. Best of luck!

Roy

Camp 1805

Hood River, OR

• 4 weeks later...

I have been to your store and it is phenomenal! I love the selection of gift items etc. Very good job. I also had a thoroughly enjoyable tour of your DSP.

I too wish you the best of luck and most importantly hope it was worth it. It is very discouraging to hear it was so challenging. I am in the midst of plans for a small DSP in Roanoke.

By the way....your War Horn is excellent!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update- We are officially Store #027, as of today August 26th. There are a few banking issues to be worked out. But it is a reality.

To answer your question, the Major Hurdle was the ABC itself. They had no idea how implement, operate, design, a distillery store, other than their five existing distilleries. I have been ready and selling in the ABC system for 17 months and then got grouped into the whole newbie thing. Be very patient, and time has no meaning to the government.