Hello From Columbia, Illinois - Stumpy's Spirits

Good morning everyone! I figured that it is finally time to introduce myself....considering I have been reading and learning on these forums for about 2 years now! Thank you to all of those who contribute and post on this forum. You are truly an asset to this incredible industry.

I am currently in the process of opening a distillery on our 7th generation family farm in Columbia, Illinois, which is about 20 miles East of downtown St. Louis. We are going to be a true farm distillery and grow all of our own grain and use fresh well water. We actually just finished getting next year's wheat, barley, and rye crops into the ground. Now we need to design and build a malting system before harvest!

In bigger news, we received our DSP in the end of October. Now it's off to labels and state licenses so we can hopefully be in production this spring! If I can ever be of any assistance to any of the readers on this forum, please feel free to contact me.

All The Best,

Adam

• Thumbs up 1

Great news for you, I have talked to another fellow close to opening in St.Louis and have helped Jim down at Copper Run with his expansion. You guys are busy, busy!

If you have any cooling water questions, give me shout.

Mike

Great news for you, I have talked to another fellow close to opening in St.Louis and have helped Jim down at Copper Run with his expansion. You guys are busy, busy!

If you have any cooling water questions, give me shout.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I may be in touch soon. Hopefully we are working on cooling water in the next month or so.

Adam

If you are going to be using well water be prepared for some regulatory nightmares. My suggestion, get in contact with your local and municipal government first. I know another distiller near me that spent months fighting with the local health department because he wanted to use well water instead of city water. There are a couple posts on these forums about similar situations. Best of luck in your venture!

Sam

Hi Adam - sounds fun. I'm in Seattle but am going to be back in STL and southern IL around Thanksgiving. If you've got your facility started and are welcome to guests, I'd love to swing by and say hello and check out what you've got going on.

LMK

Hi Adam - sounds fun. I'm in Seattle but am going to be back in STL and southern IL around Thanksgiving. If you've got your facility started and are welcome to guests, I'd love to swing by and say hello and check out what you've got going on.

LMK

Mark, I'd love to show you what we are up to if we can connect when you are in STL. Shoot me a PM before you head this way and I'll get you my contact info!

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Adam, is your family farm producing hard red winter wheat? If so please let me know. As an Illinois distillery my team wants to use Illinois grown products.

Phil

Phil,

We currently produce soft red winter wheat...and corn of course. We are also playing around with a couple of different barley varieties and some rye as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Adam,

Best of luck to you. If at anytime your family farm decides to provide your winter wheat to a fellow distiller, let me know.

Happy Holidays.

Phil

Phil,

I am almost done refinishing our seed cleaner and building our malt house. I hope to be churning out clean grain and custom malt within the next couple of months! I'll be sure to let you know when we get everything operational.

Thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam!

My name is Irene George with All American Label. We print for many, many distilleries (in Chicago) and wineries too.

I'd love to send you some samples of our work. We specialize in foil and embossing (no minimum orders) and are exhibitors at the ADI events.

Please email me at irene@allamericanlabel.net with your contact information. I'll get some great samples out to you right away.

Happy New Year to you and congratulations on your endeavor!

Irene