Suddenly most of the spirits runs are coming out tails

Rum

Anyone run into this before? The yield from the stripping runs has dropped. On the spirits run there are no hearts. It goes into tails after heads. I can get hearts out of the tails when I run them though another spirits run, but the total yield has dropped.

Same batch of molasses. Same batch of yeast. Same batch of nutrients. Held at the same temp (or very close) during fermentation. City water is used in the fermentation.

Any ideas?

Is your still dirty? Do you typically collect way down into tails as your SOP? Have you recently puked while blasting through tails? Can you pull the top side of your of your system apart and give a sniff?

I say clean the still.

I do collect way down into tails normally. But I also clean the still on a regularly scheduled basis. It has a full CIP system. The only part without CIP is the pre-condensor. I can pull the top off and take a look just to be sure. When it is going into tails so quickly it's not just flavor that I notice, the temp is where you would expect for tails.

It's an interesting thought regarding the tails part of the problem, but I'd be surprised if being dirty would account for reduced output from my stripping runs.

Ah, I didn't realize your output dropped. I assumed when you mentioned "yield" that you were referring to what you viewed as drinkable or the like.

So your head temps are a bit higher compared to previous runs?

As an aside, have the summer time temps affected your processing this year more so than usual compared to previous years?

The high temp, while indicative of tails, could also be an effect of putting too much heat to your still. This could cause the entire wash to increase in temp, and carry the heavier (higher boiling temp ) alcohols and congeners out with your hearts. Do you have a pot thermometer, and if so how has that temp been acting? Also, how's the water temp in your defleg (if you have one) to hot of water could decrease the reflux, and allow tails to be carried out early, especially if the stills is running hot as well.

I have a hard time believing it's your still, unless you are losing vapor - this is the only explanation for reduced yield during the distillation process. If it's not coming out of the still, it was either lost as vapor, or not in the still to begin with, which leads to the second guess.

Systemic infection has established itself in your process line. This would explain reduced yields and off flavors - stressed yeast, competition, other fermentation byproducts, etc.

If you are sure you are cleaning your still very well, and not leaving behind difficult to clean oils, it's going to be coming in from the fermentation side, and the only realistic reason is infection. I'd suggest taking the time to break down everything and give it a thorough cleaning and sanitizing. I assume you've tasted your wash prior to distillation? What's it taste like now? Give a good swig? Most of the common nasties will have particular off-flavor making them identifiable.

What's your CIP protocol anyway? Going deep in tails is going to need more than a rinse down.

Thanks for all the answers. I think the next step is to do a breakdown and thorough cleaning. My usual cleaning process is to use PBW at about 70 C followed by a hot water rinse. The still also gets a citric acid wash and an extra rinse.

Rum, If you aren't losing vapor, running the still too hot, or having fermentation issues another possibility could be that you've sprung a leak in the worm part of your condenser. Try running your condenser without the rest of the still going and see if you have any water coming out of the worm itself. We had this problem on our still when we first ran the condenser and it ended up just being a weld needing to be touched up. Two minutes with a propane torch, some flux, and some lead free silver sodder and the next run came out at the right proof.

Rum, If you aren't losing vapor, running the still too hot, or having fermentation issues another possibility could be that you've sprung a leak in the worm part of your condenser. Try running your condenser without the rest of the still going and see if you have any water coming out of the worm itself. We had this problem on our still when we first ran the condenser and it ended up just being a weld needing to be touched up. Two minutes with a propane torch, some flux, and some lead free silver sodder and the next run came out at the right proof.

No vapor loss. I don't think that it's going to prove to be a leak in the condenser. I would expect to get some hearts in the first spirits run in that case, just less of them.

I noticed a little white substance on the wall of one of the fermentors at the top of the wash this morning. I'm guessing that it's an infection causing it. Even though we follow regular cleaning procedures there are always a few little spots that might allow something undesirable to take hold. I've spent the entire morning dissembling, cleaning, bleaching, etc... Steam cleaning all tanks/hoses. Taking pumps apart for cleaning. Etc, etc, etc etc.

At least the taste of the rum hasn't been affected. Just the final amount.

Thanks for all the answers. I think the next step is to do a breakdown and thorough cleaning. My usual cleaning process is to use PBW at about 70 C followed by a hot water rinse. The still also gets a citric acid wash and an extra rinse.

No sanitizer for the fermenters after cleaning?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd look at the water supply, with the change in seasons, the treatment regimen at the water plant may have changed.

The mineral profile can change and you could be calcium difficeint, they could have changed to a different disinfectant which is getting past your filtration and slowing your yeast.

Etc...

• 6 months later...