Barrel brand

Latkasimka

Branding Iron? There are plenty of makers of brands for wood burning, just google it and half a dozen will come up. Big custom brands can get very expensive though, and the size will be limited (modern brands use electric heaters, not fire).

Some of the barrel manufacturers do laser burning of logos, this will probably be much more cost effective than getting a large brand made.

We've been working on a solution for this to avoid spraying or painting anything onto the barrels. We priced a large custom brand (must be heated manually) for about $250. I know Barrel Mill (and probably others) will add the laser engraved logo to your order. My recollection was that it was not expensive on a per barrel basis ($10?) but would add up over time. But the Barrel Mill logos do look really good on the barrels.

We actually tried a different method this weekend. We had a aluminum stencil made for about $20 and were trying to use a small butane torch to burn the logo on to the wood that way. The results were decent but the stencil gets too hot and warps. We are planning to try a different torch next or order a thicker stencil that is less prone to warp. If you can keep the stencil down, the results are actually really good it just as soon as it warps a little, the flames lick under and it doesn't work well.

For what it's worth, we tried this and it just didn't work. We had a local fab shop do it; they're a high-tolerance shop, experienced and had done plenty of things like this in the past (though not for barrel heads)

The surface of a barrel head was too irregular to have a uniform burn. It looked super jacked up, so much so we got our money back. It was a waste to time and effort, really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We ended up getting a thicket (1/4 inch) aluminum stencil from Woodland Manufacturing (online). We're using a small butane torch for precision but could probably go with something bigger. The 1/4 inch does not warp and works well on the larger letters but it is very difficult to get the flames through tight spaces. So I tried one this weekend and just didn't do the small spots. Somewhat time consuming but not that bad. Here are some pics of the results:

https://twitter.com/CountySeatLV/status/663076564008099840

Also on our Facebook. If the link doesn't work I'll attach the pics manually.

A thinner size would be easier but at the same time might be more prone to warping. If you have a basic logo that does not have too much detail, I'd opt for the 1/4 inch.