Obscuration proofing

KRS

Has anyone used Pellet Lab Master Distillers 1000ml Distillation Kit? Were you happy with it? How did you get your lab equipment for determining obscuration, piecemeal? Is the process of obscuration proofing demonstrated in the TTB video on proofing as challenging as it seemed to me? I'd appreciate knowing more from those of you who do obscuration proofing with ease!

Also, I mistakenly posted this in Equipment, so you might see another version.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are like me and things break when you walk into a laboratory, determining the obscuration by distillation or evaporation is a guaranteed disaster. If I were doing it, I'd send to a reliable lab and let them do the work., I'll leave it to those more inclined toward chemistry to describe how difficult it is for someone who is competent in the presence of my nemesis the lab still.

Thank you for sharing your advice. Frankly, I'm still dealing with the shock of finding out that we need to test every batch that's going to be bottled for solids. I thought proofing was complicated enough with reading the hydrometer and the thermometer and using ABS 3.3 to do the hard work. How could we possibly send a sample from every batch to a lab and get it back soon enough to get on with it in a reasonable time frame? That's not rhetorical, by the way--it's a real question. I'd appreciate it very much if people would explain the mysteries and how to manage effectively with gauging obscuration.