• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 molassesman

molassesman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

Looking for high quality food grade, low sulfur molasses, let me know. Can provide specifications, sugar profile, etc.

#2 atyourservicegal

atyourservicegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hi there,

I can help with this... if you can contact me so that I might get some particulars that would be great.
dena@foodguys.com or at 503-404-0250.

I am an ingredient supplier and have many vendors for Molassess. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

#3 Jedd Haas

Jedd Haas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hi Dena, based on your industry experience, what is your favorite molasses for rum? Or mix thereof.

#4 Oldipswichrum

Oldipswichrum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Hey Jedd
We use domino sugar, specifically "homemaid molasses". It is grade A molasses that comes to us via Baltimore. They tell us that it is LA or FL molasses( we wanted domestic). It is expensive compared to blackstrap but provides a very clean product with lots of flavor. It is also very high in sugars. Our last batch was listed around 80 brix. Yeast goes nuts with this stuff. Anyway,shoot me an email if I can be of any more help. mperry@turkeyshoredistilleries.com

#5 atyourservicegal

atyourservicegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

I would say the one that most distillers are buying is the sweeter types ( Fancy grade) ... as Oldispwichrum has stated. I have several suppliers with these types of Molasses I would be happy to make some calls for you on the different types. We can also get you some samples so that you can find the right fit for you? Let me know what works for you?

#6 ViolentBlue

ViolentBlue

Lead Designer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

in my experience, Fancy makes a far nicer rum. But then again there are many different styles of rum. what you got in mind might be different than what I'd do.
Don't discount yeast as a major contributor to the rum profile.

#7 molassesman

molassesman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

I understand the sulfur in molasses can cause problems for copper stills. Be careful with blackstrap molasses, especially refiners molasses where sulfur compounds are used to extend the amount of sucrose extracted from the raw sugar. We sell all grades from mill molasses to refiners molasses, black strap to pure cane juice molasses, organic to conventional. Also malt extract and blue agave nectar. Specifications, samples and discussion is free.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Molasses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users