31 replies to this topic

#1 mendodistilling

mendodistilling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

Has anyone worked with any Yeast companies to try and find what works favorably? What have been your results? What type of yeast strains do you use, beer? If so, what types have you used and your results?

#2 Panoscape

Panoscape

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

You can start your research here: http://homedistiller.org/forum/

It would be hard to say, seeing I don't know what flavor profile you want in your end rum. The best thing to do is to try many things and see what floats your boat flavor wise. Try to innovate, not duplicate.

#3 mendodistilling

mendodistilling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

Just learning, trying to absorb experience to use as a base for my personal ideas. Trying to get conversation started on the subject.

#4 ViolentBlue

ViolentBlue

Lead Designer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

you'll need to do some test batches and find what gives you the profile you want. many rum producers use ec1118- champagne yeast, but there are many other yeasts out there that can change the character of the spirit significantly.
I've done some experimentation with DanstilL EDV 493, it makes a terrible white rum, but fantastic aged Navy rum, but it does need to age in the barrel longer than a rum made with ec1118.
I've tried different wine yeast variants, and they all work with differing levels of success.

#5 mendodistilling

mendodistilling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Have you played with any beer yeast or only the higher tolerant alcohol yeasts?

#6 Rich Morgan

Rich Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

Lallemand has several cane/molasses specific yeasts for Rum production. I have used Distilamax RM 493 with great results. See http://www.ethanolte...rage/yeast.html

#7 smoogdog

smoogdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Sugar cane farming, ethnobotany, agricultural rum, sales, marketing, technology.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

Done several experiments lately. The EC-1118 is fantastic if you want a clean spirit. My work has all been with cane juice, not molasses. I can say I agree with ViolentBlue on the 493. It was almost sour tasting. Barrel aging some now. I say just go for it with various yeasts and see what you get. I am about to test some yeasts that probably have never been used for rum before. Will keep you posted.

#8 mendodistilling

mendodistilling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

Do you guys ever try and raise the fermentation temp to try and draw out more fruity flavors? I was thinking about the rums ive had and most are a bit more on the wild side than whiskeys, etc. Kind of like mezcals, they all seem to have more natural flavor, i was curious what would come of a higher fermentation like some wineries do for red wines.

#9 smoogdog

smoogdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Sugar cane farming, ethnobotany, agricultural rum, sales, marketing, technology.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

I raised the temperature on my last fermentation from 70 degrees to 85 degrees and it shaved two days off of the cycle. I can't say it had a huge impact on the flavor. I might actually prefer the slower fermented iteration. It had a sweeter finish.

#10 winchester

winchester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Agree with smoogdog that EC 1118 is a good rum yeast, fairly neutral, suitable for clean, white rums. I also like it as a "first" yeast for a new recipe as it tends not to interfere if that makes sense.

#11 ViolentBlue

ViolentBlue

Lead Designer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

I raised the temperature on my last fermentation from 70 degrees to 85 degrees and it shaved two days off of the cycle. I can't say it had a huge impact on the flavor. I might actually prefer the slower fermented iteration. It had a sweeter finish.

Higher temperatures will drive the yeast harder, but it can also create some off flavors. you must be using a more temperature tolerant yeast to minimize the impact.

#12 smoogdog

smoogdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:39 PM

Great success on my first effort with a very unusual yeast isolated here in Hawaii. I have some more testing to do, and I need to be sure I can create a repeatable process to propagate the yeast cultures in larger quantities, but I might have stumbled into an interesting find. Will tell you more as I test the alcohol tolerance in a 20 Brix solution next time.

#13 smaug

smaug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:All things distilling and of course my banjo...

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Subscibed

#14 smoogdog

smoogdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:12 AM

Testing my new yeast against a control using EC-118. Hope to have a starting Brix at 20 and see where we end up. Will post an update later in the week.

#15 Jonathan Forester

Jonathan Forester

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

I've used the Lallemand rum specific yeast 493 EDV, with good results on a very light white rum. Very creamy flavors, with herbaceous hints, and some light spice notes. Also as mentioned, the Lalvin EC-1118 is nice for its neutrality. I have had amazing results with several wine yeasts, Lalvin 71B is one I remember very well.

#16 smoogdog

smoogdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

I kept 14 liters of my sugar cane juice at 72 degrees for the experiment with the new yeast. My SG was 1.078 to start. After a full 7 days of fairly constant fermentation, the final SG is .992. I took daily samples and had a lab do a count. This is what they got:

24 hr = 7.6 x 10 to 6th cells/ml
48 hr = 8.2 x 10 to 6th cells/ml
72 hr = 4.8 x 10 to 6th cells/ml
96 hr = 6.5 x 10 to 6th cells/ml
120 hr = 5.6 x 10 to 5th cells/ml
144 hr = 7.5 x 10 to 5th cells/ml
168 hr = 3.3 x 10 to 5th cells/ml

I am going to distill the stuff tomorrow, but my initial reaction great. The wine smells really nice. Not yeasty or sour like I've had with other yeasts. Even tastes okay. If this works, I can get exclusive use of this yeast that was isolated by a laboratory for a different purpose, but I will have to pay a small royalty. Is it worth all of this to have a native Hawaiian yeast?

#17 daveflintstone

daveflintstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:distilling

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:01 AM

I once knew a girl named Leilani.
She had a Native Hawaiian yeast once.
A quick trip to Longs and seven days later it was gone.

fyi, it did not smell nice & I was too afraid to taste it.

#18 smoogdog

smoogdog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

I am racking my sugar cane wine today, but the fermentation hasn't stopped. My fermentation lock is still bubbling very slowly. SG is just about 0.990 now. Today is the 10th day. Has anyone ever seen a 10 day fermentation cycle?

#19 GeekSpirits

GeekSpirits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

I am racking my sugar cane wine today, but the fermentation hasn't stopped. My fermentation lock is still bubbling very slowly. SG is just about 0.990 now. Today is the 10th day. Has anyone ever seen a 10 day fermentation cycle?

I actually ran one for 21 days and it was still going. Flavor was pretty decent.

#20 Artisan Still Design

Artisan Still Design

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Whiskey and Still Design

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

I've seen some long fermentation cycles in colder climates. but rarely in warm.
could be secondary bacterial fermentation maybe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users