Just FYI if you read the report on Silver Trail you would see one thing in particular that does not make sense. The manufacturer of the still said it was rated at 8 psi I think it was. The still had a 150 psi WATER HEATER pressure relief valve!! The report did not say who installed the PR valve but I am guessing the distillery. Most small still guys will not install safety equipment to avoid the liability. A still should be an OPEN system and the pressure will not go above maybe 1/4 psi. It is necessary to have some pressure to move the vapor through but it will not go above 1/2 psi unless you have some blockage or something. You can get Apollo PR valves for 5 psi that are more than you will need unless you have a still made from tin foil. You have to remember that one psi spread over the surface of a 36 inch diameter still is about 1,000 lbs of actual force over that area! By the way the one thing the report does not clearly state is whether the injuries sustained were from fire or from hot water. Water at 200 degrees will cause severe burns as well. And the suspicious thing about the report is that the still blew out of the building. At 8 psi or even 10 or 20 psi it would most likely split open and not "blow up." There are a lot of unanswered questions. Above all get a pressure gauge and relief valve with LOW psi. Very low.
The trouble with most codes is they are not written for craft distillers. The other trouble is most people (inspectors) do not know the code and due to some incidents like the JB fire and Heaven Hill and Wild Turkey they look at alcohol like it is gasoline! It is NOT. I had the fire dept come out and they said they tried to light a barrel on fire and poured diesel on it and it still would not burn! Now lightning...that is a different animal. If you find an intelligent and sensible inspector they will know that ethanol does not burn even close to gasoline. But even in Kentucky there are no sensible inspectors! The thing is the test for flammability is "closed cup" meaning if a vapor forms and is ignitable then the liquid is flammable. Well your distillery is NOT a closed cup and as long as you have air circulation you will not accumulate enough vapor to ignite. The insurance industry states that within 1 meter of a vapor source the vapor is no longer ignitable. And the vapor is heavier than air so the source of ignition must be below 18 inches from the floor. And just to be clear water does not put out an ethanol fire UNLESS the water entirely covers the fire. So if you have a fire about 6 feet in diameter and spray with water hose it will most likely not go out. The water provides a medium for the alcohol to "move" with the water meaning the fire will spread with the water. And do not confuse the story of distillery explosion in KY with this issue. The cause there was completely different. And by the way wood and paper and other things burn too.