Jump to content

needmorstuff

Members
  • Content Count

    167
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About needmorstuff

  • Rank
    Active Contributor

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. thanks for the bump... update. so i did tank to tank 10 micron > 1 micron in series, had to clean the filters twice during the process. This still left a haze. After a few days I did another tank to tank filtration through a 1 micron filter and that seems to have done the trick. Next time.. I will let it settle for a week. then filter from the top of the tank through a 10 micron filter tank to tank. I will take what is left at the bottom and add to next run... or leave in a smaller vessel to settle completely and siphon off the top of the sediment and add to
  2. Hi, Looking for advice from people who macerate fruit in spirit. is a 1 micron absolute rated filter sufficient? i've done 10 and 1 micron in series and have a haze in my raspberry spirit. Just after what protocol people find works best. The filters i have are 10" long pleated. The volume is around 60 litres. They clog after 1 litres or so. I clean them and run again. When i'm done there is still a haze. Does it need to be 0.5? or some other craziness like chill filtering (please god no)
  3. Hi - I had a bottle of gin that is maybe 18 months old. Never opened, when i opened it there was a musty moldy smell and taste. It had been stored away from direct sunlight in relatively cool conditions. Any ideas as to why this might have happened?
  4. update. What i failed to mention is i had my other gin botanicals in the boiler. Normally i run nice n slow, about 9" per second vapour speed, even then when I usually have to rest it for a period after proofing, to allow some of the earthier notes to dissipate, all fairly standard practice. I think what I did with this run is use too much power, trying to get the grapefruit bouquet that was so prevalent on my bench still - this amplified those earthy notes that are so pungent and this masked the grapefruit almost completely. I discovered this as I placed the distillate ba
  5. Bench still is copper, production still was ran with just SS, no copper
  6. I have a 5l bench still, I used 1.5kg of grapefruit per 1l of NGS. Just the zest and the flesh of the fruit. I got a very good extract and the grapefruit oils came over immediately and for the entire run. It's a pot with a 2" riser heated on a heat plate. I scaled that up and used 57kg of grapefruit for 35l of NGS, again the zest and the flesh. The still is a 100l kettle with internal elements. I am getting hardly any oils coming over. I have tried increasing power, reducing column diameter from 4" to 3", then reducing column height all with varying levels of power and still har
  7. I have looked at dried zest, but as of yet not found any that has just the zest and not the pith. I am using a LOT of zest, this is a "flavoured gn" that is popular in the UK. I have come to the conclusion that washing in soapy water will be the best option. thanks for replying.
  8. I am planning on putting a lot of zest into my potstill with my normal gin botanicals, trouble is i cant find fruit without wax. I could attempt to remove the wax but it is unlikely i will remove 100% of it. Will 100% of the wax remain in the boiler?
  9. Normally I simply do not have the time for experimentation. With a day job, a gin business and events most weekends, strange time we find ourselves in. I pity the person who had the task of isolating cucumber seeds.
  10. best result for me came from roasted cacao simply potstilled, nice taste, less nose than extracted but none of the bitterness.
  11. I would imagine the addition of sugar would cure a lot of problems. I pay about £10 for 1kg of cacao for small quantities, maybe 30% cheaper for bigger - so yes, it aint cheap, Feel free to message me with your recipe and protocol - save me some time 😉
  12. Oh, I ditched the stillage, but I did taste it, it tasted empty and bitter. Not chocolaty at all. I find it strange the distillate tasted sweet, maybe this is just the ethanol. Very possible that I got Maillard reaction during extraction, both in the boiler and column. The extractor column was very hot. I should be more patient and reduce power maybe.. more hot extractions don't necessarily work better than less cooler ones. But then how much cooling takes place through the column walls is questionable. As a rule I am finding citrus is very volatile and distills across great. Fr
×
×
  • Create New...