Column Still Plans

NathanAEmery

Guest Bonanza

I'm building my own stills, they count with 300Ltr boilers and 6" bubble plate heads.

I can't give any feedback yet as there is missing some work and no test drive is made yet.

If you aren't in hurry and my stills work fine I could help you with some drawings and sizes.

Joe

Does anyone have plans for a column still they have sucessfully built? Or know where I could find them? I know the potential drawbacks of making your own and I wouldn't be doing it I would contract it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-677-12723326088_thumb.jpg

Here's a real simple plan for a glass marble filled column ... it uses glass marbles, but you can use other materials as well.

I've got some more complex plans with plates and various styles of vents and bubble caps in my library, but they're packed as we're in the process of moving from Ohio to Colorado. If you bug me in about a month when I've got my library unpacked I'll scan several plans for you.

Stephen

post-428-127233802051_thumb.gif

Here's a real simple plan for a glass marble filled column ... it uses glass marbles, but you can use other materials as well.

I've got some more complex plans with plates and various styles of vents and bubble caps in my library, but they're packed as we're in the process of moving from Ohio to Colorado. If you bug me in about a month when I've got my library unpacked I'll scan several plans for you.

Stephen

Thanks!

I'm building my own stills, they count with 300Ltr boilers and 6" bubble plate heads.

I can't give any feedback yet as there is missing some work and no test drive is made yet.

If you aren't in hurry and my stills work fine I could help you with some drawings and sizes.

Joe

that would be great Joe. Thank you very much.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bonanza

I made a water and vinegar run without bubble plates in the heads yesterday, no leaks where detected.

It took fully 3 hours to heat up the 220 Ltr mix, I may need to built a larger propane heater.

A stripping run with 3 plates in the still head is planned for thursday, I will let you know how it went.

Joe

Guest Bonanza

Here an update on the first run, since than I had two more.

Batch was 180 Ltr corn/sugar wash and 6 gal of heads and tails from the last 2 runs of another still which I own (only 60% of total boiler vol).

I had to stop the run at the very beginning as I had a small leak in the head gasket, that is solved forever now.

Than I took 500ml fore shots and 3 gal heads at 85% ABV.

At 80% I collected hearts and run ‘em till 70%, a total of 4 gal in 1.5 hours.

It was a nice ¼ “ stream.

For tails I powered the heat up and stopped the reflux (dephlagmator) and got another 4.5 gal until 25% ABV.

During refluxing, the cuts have been clear and easy to differ.

I couldn't install the digital dashboard (control panel)yet, the probes already arrived, missing the instruments.

If I would need to built it again I would change some small things but the stills work like a charm.

Here a photo of the twins:

Joe

post-677-127413136424_thumb.jpg

Here an update on the first run, since than I had two more.

Batch was 180 Ltr corn/sugar wash and 6 gal of heads and tails from the last 2 runs of another still which I own (only 60% of total boiler vol).

I had to stop the run at the very beginning as I had a small leak in the head gasket, that is solved forever now.

Than I took 500ml fore shots and 3 gal heads at 85% ABV.

At 80% I collected hearts and run ‘em till 70%, a total of 4 gal in 1.5 hours.

It was a nice ¼ “ stream.

For tails I powered the heat up and stopped the reflux (dephlagmator) and got another 4.5 gal until 25% ABV.

During refluxing, the cuts have been clear and easy to differ.

I couldn't install the digital dashboard (control panel)yet, the probes already arrived, missing the instruments.

If I would need to built it again I would change some small things but the stills work like a charm.

Here a photo of the twins:

Joe

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have plans for a column still they have sucessfully built? Or know where I could find them? I know the potential drawbacks of making your own and I wouldn't be doing it I would contract it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What do you want to distill and at what % ? I saw joe/rednose column and it's excellent work, but for high %, you'll need more than 6 plates (10 to 15)